M.F. Husain's 'Sprinkling Horses', a dynamic depiction of horses along side a human figure, has fetched a whopping USD 1.14 million at an auction in Christie's here, where another 12 of his masterpieces were snapped up.
The high price for the 'Sprinkling Horses', an oil on canvas signed 'Husain' in Hindi and Urdu, is a sign that his work continues to be a hot favourite among art connoisseurs across the world,
The painting, one of the hallmarks of Husain's work, was among the 13 paintings that went under the hammer at Christie's auction of South Asian modern and contemporary art.
The 13 paintings were sold for a total of 4.2 million dollars, a clear sign that paintings by the late artist continue to be a collector's item and will command high prices.
Husain's other painting 'Yatra', a representation of rural India, was sold for 932,5000 dollars, while 'The Three Graces' depicting two women and horses fetched 482,500 dollars.
An untitled painting, that portraits three heads, was sold for 31,250 dollars, fetching the lowest price among the 13 paintings.
More Husain art will be on sale at Sotheby's, which will present Modern and Contemporary South Asian Art including Indian miniature paintings as part of its week of Asian art auctions here today.
Husain Paintings Fetch USD 4.2 Mn at Christie's Auction
Yoshita Singh / New York
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- OPINION | 'Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave'
- 'Broad Daylight Murder Of Law, Democracy': Cong Lashes Out At Govt Over Chidambaram's Arrest
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- March To Delhi Temple Demolition Site Was 'Personal Decision': Dalit Body
- Etawah 'Ragging' Case: Police, VC Deny Medical Students Were Forced To Shave Heads
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh
- Live, Windies v India, 1st Test, Day 1: IND Lose Mayank Agarwal Early
- 'Yeh Mauka Ka Khel Hai' - Sehwag Wants Rohit To Get Long Run In Tests
- MP CM Kamal Nath's Nephew Ratul Puri Moves Court To Surrender In AgustaWestland Case