Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez revealed that he is fighting cancer after having a tumour removed in Cuba, raising uncertainty about Venezuela's political future even as he assured his country he expects to fully recover.
Chavez was noticeably thinner and paler as he appeared on television last night, reading from a prepared speech with a serious and, at times, sad expression. He said he is resolved to "be victorious in this new battle that life has placed before us".
Chavez's admission shook the political landscape of a country he has dominated for his more than 12 years in power, and who had vowed to win re-election next year and govern for another decade or more.
There is no obvious successor to the charismatic Chavez within his Bolivarian movement, and his illness may also affect his leadership within the ALBA alliance of leftist Latin American nations.
Chavez said he had two operations in Cuba, including one that removed a tumour in which there were "cancerous cells". The 56-year-old president said the surgery was performed after an initial operation nearly three weeks ago to remove a pelvic abscess.
A military chief, Gen. Henry Rangel Silva, assured the country on Friday that Venezuela's stability "is guaranteed". "President Chavez will continue because he hasn't truly stopped exercising his functions as President," Rangel Silva said on state television. He said Chavez was recovering smoothly and had been on top of his duties while in Cuba.
Hugo Chavez Reveals He is Fighting Cancer
THE LATEST ISSUE
- With 12,651 New Infections, Delhi Logs Lowest Daily Caseload In 4 Weeks
- Citing Covid Situation Cong Again Defers Internal Poll To Elect New Chief
- Clueless Cong Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid-19
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Delhi’s Covaxin Stock Will Run Out In A Day: Satyendar Jain
- Japan, UNDP To Provide Oxygen Plants To Northeast States
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Bach Cancels Japan Trip Because Of COVID Cases
- Wrestling's Image Tarnished Due To Accusations Against Sushil Kumar: WFI