China's President for a decade Hu Jintao today stepped down from power, leaving a stamp of his own on the ruling Communist Party which incorporated his theory of "Scientific Outlook" in its constitution to figure along with the theories of top leaders like Mao Zedong and Deng Xiaoping.
An amendment to the Constitution of the Communist Party of China (CPC) was approved on the last day of the leadership change Congress making the Scientific Outlook on Development as part of the Party's guide for action.
Unanimously agreed on by 2270 delegates to the congress, the amendment juxtaposes the Scientific Outlook on Development along with Marxism-Leninism, Mao Zedong Thought, Deng Xiaoping Theory and the important thought of Three Represents credited to Hu's predecessor Jiang Zemin.
Hailing the Outlook as "the crystallisation of the collective wisdom of the CPC and a long-term guiding ideology the Party must adhere to", the resolution said it represents the Party's latest achievement in adapting Marxism to China's conditions.
Hu, 69, a strong follower of Deng's reform policies, discarding Mao's hard-line Marxist policies opened up China's economy in the last ten years even while keeping a strong lid on the political reforms, and consolidated his hold on the party.
His decade-long reign ended today as new set of leaders were elected by the Congress.
The new leaders including Hu's successor, Xi Jinping would be formally unveiled tomorrow.
Besides emerging as the second largest economy, China's annual percapita income during Hu's era has increased from USD 931 to USD 3461.
Hu Jintao Steps Down as Chinese President
K J M Varma and Anil K Joseph/Beijing
File - AP/PTI
THE LATEST ISSUE
- What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly