Home Minister P Chidambaram today hoped the police would handle people's stir carefully without taking recourse to tough measures like firing even as Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa sought to defend the Paramakudi police firing incident which claimed seven lives.
"I hope in future the police would handle the people's agitation carefully without resorting to tough measures like firing," Chidambaram told reporters here.
He, however, declined further comments on the incident saying he could not give his views without knowing about the situation under which it was done.
Chidambaram said the Centre had been advising police officials to handle people's agitation to maximum extent possible without opening fire.
Seven people were killed when police opened fire to quell violence at Paramakudi in Ramanathapuram district yesterday.
Defending the police action, Jayalalithaa said yesterday that they were forced to open fire as protesters attacked police personnel on duty.
"The protesters indulged in large-scale violence and torched police vehicles. Police opened fire in self defence and to protect public property," Jayalalithaa had said.
Chidambaram called on DIG Sandeep Mittal,who was injured in the violence, at the Apollo Hospital at Karaikudi in Sivaganga district, and wished him speedy recovery.
He was accompanied by former Tamil Nadu Minister Periyakaruppan.
Hope Police Will Handle People's Stir Carefully: PC
THE LATEST ISSUE
- ‘Need To Look At Every Aspect That Caused Defeat’: Sonia Gandhi To Congress On Poll Results
- ‘His Dream Has Come True,’ Says Himanta Biswa Sarma’s Wife
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid-19?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In Tamil Nadu Releases Election Expenses
- Game Over, Or Halftime? Mamata Faces Full-Blown Tussle With BJP
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India Sees Dip In Covid Daily Count: Records 3,66,161 Cases, 3,754 Deaths
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Covid: What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection?
- 34 AMU Professors Succumb To Covid In Last 18 Days
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- M.K. Stalin: The Prince Who Finally Became King
- Dramatic Draw Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- BCCI Will Be Ultra-cautious For T20 World Cup: Jimmy Neesham