Eminent historian and academic Prof A Sreedhara Menon, who researched and wrote extensively on modern Kerala, died today, family sources said.
Menon, 84, had been keeping indifferent health for quite some time. He is survived by wife and two children.
A former head of History Department of Kerala University, Menon had taught and guided students for over five decades.
An authority on the political history of Kerala and author of nearly 25 books in English and Malayalam, his widely appreciated works included A survey of Kerala history, Triumph and tragedy in Travancore and a series on on Freedom struggle and Kerala.
Though an established academic all through his life, Menon's writings were appreciated by general readers as well because of their simple treatment of the subject and lucid style.
Despite steering clear of political or ideological bias, Menon had occasionally come under criticism from the Left due to his views on episodes in Kerala history like Communist-led Punnapra-Vayalar uprising against the royal rule in Travancore on the eve of the freedom struggle.
On the 60th anniversary of Independence, Menon was commissioned by the then LDF Government to write a history on the freedom struggle in Kerala. However, he pulled out of the project in protest against the directive that he should consult Marxist ideologues like E M S Namboodiripad in writing the work. Menon, later brought out the work on his own through a private publisher.
"Menon has made valuable contributions as a historian. It was through his works that the present generation learnt about Kerala history", eminent historian Prof M G S Narayanan said.
"Menon was a popular historian. His works could be read and relished by anybody. He also left an indelible mark as a teacher and an academic," said Rajan Gurukkal, historian and Vice-chancellor of Mahatma Gandhi University.
Historian A Sreedhara Menon Dies
THE LATEST ISSUE
- LJP Leader Ram Vilas Paswan Passes Away At The Age Of 74
- SRH Vs KXIP: Abhishek Getsb Rahul; Punjab 61/3 (7)
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation: Mumbai Police
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Development of Ladakh troubles China: Anurag Thakur
- Hathras Case: Accused Claims Victim's Family Was 'Against Our Friendship'
- American Poet Louise Glück Wins Nobel Literature Prize
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- UP Police Violated SC Guidelines: Kerala Journalists Union
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- I Am Still A Student Of Cinema: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- IPL 2020: Why Gayle Missed Out On Playing His First Match For KXIP