Eminent historian and academic Prof A Sreedhara Menon, who researched and wrote extensively on modern Kerala, died today, family sources said.
Menon, 84, had been keeping indifferent health for quite some time. He is survived by wife and two children.
A former head of History Department of Kerala University, Menon had taught and guided students for over five decades.
An authority on the political history of Kerala and author of nearly 25 books in English and Malayalam, his widely appreciated works included A survey of Kerala history, Triumph and tragedy in Travancore and a series on on Freedom struggle and Kerala.
Though an established academic all through his life, Menon's writings were appreciated by general readers as well because of their simple treatment of the subject and lucid style.
Despite steering clear of political or ideological bias, Menon had occasionally come under criticism from the Left due to his views on episodes in Kerala history like Communist-led Punnapra-Vayalar uprising against the royal rule in Travancore on the eve of the freedom struggle.
On the 60th anniversary of Independence, Menon was commissioned by the then LDF Government to write a history on the freedom struggle in Kerala. However, he pulled out of the project in protest against the directive that he should consult Marxist ideologues like E M S Namboodiripad in writing the work. Menon, later brought out the work on his own through a private publisher.
"Menon has made valuable contributions as a historian. It was through his works that the present generation learnt about Kerala history", eminent historian Prof M G S Narayanan said.
"Menon was a popular historian. His works could be read and relished by anybody. He also left an indelible mark as a teacher and an academic," said Rajan Gurukkal, historian and Vice-chancellor of Mahatma Gandhi University.
Historian A Sreedhara Menon Dies
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Allahabad To Prayagraj: The Politics Of Name Change
- 'After He Has Gone, We Have Only Him To Talk About': Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan's Parents
- Rajasthan Polls: Congress Fields Jaswant Singh’s Son Manvendra Against Vasundhara Raje
- Why Dalits And Elite Castes Are Unhappy With BJP In Gwalior-Morena
- Sabarimala Row: Shutdown In Kerala After Late Night Arrest Of Hindu Woman Leader
- How Calcutta Women Used Humour To Handle Sexual Harassment Before #MeToo
- Why Indian Railways Is Bad At Implementing Big-Ticket Projects
- Tamil Nadu: A State For Statues
- From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- What Makes India Powerful, What Sort Of A Country We Want
- Indian Railways On A Name Changing Spree
- Election Commission Curtails Poll Donation To Rs 10,000
- Odisha Assembly Excuses Abhijit Iyer Mitra For His Derogatory Remarks Against State Legislators
- PM Modi Attends Maldives President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih's Swearing-In
- J&K Panchayat Elections: 64.5% Voting In First Phase
- AP, W. Bengal Ban On CBI: What Does It Mean
- 'Two Leaves' Symbol Case: Delhi Court Frames Charges Against Dhinakaran
- Mehul Choksi May Return To India In 3 Months If Medically Fit: Lawyer
- Abducted By Militants Earlier, Body Of 19-Year-Old Found With His Throat Slit