Eminent historian and academic Prof A Sreedhara Menon, who researched and wrote extensively on modern Kerala, died today, family sources said.
Menon, 84, had been keeping indifferent health for quite some time. He is survived by wife and two children.
A former head of History Department of Kerala University, Menon had taught and guided students for over five decades.
An authority on the political history of Kerala and author of nearly 25 books in English and Malayalam, his widely appreciated works included A survey of Kerala history, Triumph and tragedy in Travancore and a series on on Freedom struggle and Kerala.
Though an established academic all through his life, Menon's writings were appreciated by general readers as well because of their simple treatment of the subject and lucid style.
Despite steering clear of political or ideological bias, Menon had occasionally come under criticism from the Left due to his views on episodes in Kerala history like Communist-led Punnapra-Vayalar uprising against the royal rule in Travancore on the eve of the freedom struggle.
On the 60th anniversary of Independence, Menon was commissioned by the then LDF Government to write a history on the freedom struggle in Kerala. However, he pulled out of the project in protest against the directive that he should consult Marxist ideologues like E M S Namboodiripad in writing the work. Menon, later brought out the work on his own through a private publisher.
"Menon has made valuable contributions as a historian. It was through his works that the present generation learnt about Kerala history", eminent historian Prof M G S Narayanan said.
"Menon was a popular historian. His works could be read and relished by anybody. He also left an indelible mark as a teacher and an academic," said Rajan Gurukkal, historian and Vice-chancellor of Mahatma Gandhi University.
Historian A Sreedhara Menon Dies
THE LATEST ISSUE
- The Friend Zone Blahs: With Ally Troubles, BJP Needs Some Soul-Searching
- The Need Of The Hour Is To Defeat Narendra Modi: Mamata Banerjee At Kolkata Rally
- Veganism: Not Just A Different Menu But An Alternative Way Of Relating To Living World
- My Actions Against Corruption Have Infuriated Some People: PM Modi
- Doctor Shouted At Me, Called Me Gujjar, Says Man Whose Wife Gave Birth On Road In J&K
- Only Thing That Can Ground Naveen Patnaik This Time Is ‘Problem Of Plenty’
- What Will Be The Effect Of Alliances Against BJP Across India
- Two Mega Film Releases Trigger A Wave Of Crazy Fan Behaviour In Tamil Nadu
- Politics And Public Memory In Kashmir
- Sabarimala Issue May Help BJP Grow In Kerala But Social Reform Is Inevitable
- From Bollywood To South India, What Made Kader Khan A Darling Of Film-Makers
- India’s Debt Under Modi Govt Surges 50% To Rs 82 Lakh Crore
- Is It A Rally Of ‘United India’ Or Of ‘Divided Leadership’?: BJP On Mamata's Mega Show
- Virat Kohli And Anushka Sharma Meet Roger Federer, Fans Troll 'Australian Open' For 'Legends' Post
- 14-Year-Old Gives Birth, Three Minor Girls Found Pregnant In Odisha
- Clarify On Rafale Or People Will Say 'Chowkidaar Chor Hai': Shatrughan Sinha At Kolkata Rally
- Misa Bharti Says, 'Felt Like Cutting Ram Kripal Yadav's Hands When He Joined BJP', Courts Controversy- Video
- JNU Sedition Case: Court Asks Where Is Sanction? Cops Say Will Get In 10 Days
- People In India Talk Of Respect To Women, But Don't Practise It: P V Sindhu