The US has decided to give top priority to its ties with India, which is reflected in an unprecedented series of high-level exchange of visits between the two countries this month aimed at taking forward their cooperation in areas like defence, trade and education.
Defence Secretary Leon Panetta would spend two days in New Delhi next week as part of a visit aimed at taking the military-to-military relationship between the two countries to the next level.
By June end, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner is scheduled to land in India for economic and business talks with his Indian counterpart.
And in between, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has decided to go out of her way to co-chair at least three Cabinet level meetings with Indian ministers, including the third round of Strategic Dialogue in Washington with External Affairs Minister S M Krishna on June 13.
The Indian delegation would be represented by four Cabinet Ministers and two Cabinet-level officials.
In fact, given the number of events that have been scheduled in and around June 13, it is being called as Indian week in Washington.
A day before the India-US Strategic Dialogue, Clinton would co-chair with Human Resources Development Minister Kapil Sibal the Education Dialogue – which is a follow up to the first meeting held here last year – on June 12.
Sibal would be accompanied by a number of Indian education officials and representatives from Indian universities and educational institutions.
On June 11, Science and Technology Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh would co-chair a meeting with his US counterpart discussing cooperation in the field of science and technology.
High-Level Exchange of Visits Look to Fortify Indo-US Ties
Lalit K Jha/Washington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Govt Panel Suggests 12-16 Week Gap For Covishield, Covid Recovered Should Wait 6 Months
- What Makes Some Vaccinated People More Susceptible To Covid-19 Than Others?
- Can A Person Get Re-Infected After Recovering From Covid?
- Maharashtra Extends Covid Restrictions Till June 1; Check Guidelines
- BJP's Political Messaging To No Avail: No Fresh Vegetables For Ladakh-Kargil For 4 Months
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Covaxin Receives Nod For Trials On Children Between 2-18 Age Group
- UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Exam Postponed Amid Covid Surge
- Column: The Pandemic Surge - What Does It Teach Us?
- Western Media Coverage Of Covid Crisis Raises Hackles Of Modi Govt
- Know Why Using Right Glassware Is Important While Mixing Your Drink
- Independent Music Doing Well As Labels Are Promoting It: Sonu Nigam
- India Very Good At 'Niggling': Paine
- Japan Travel Ban: Nightmare For Tokyo Olympics-Bound Indian Athletes