A local court today adjourned to July 16 hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which the Kanchi seer Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra, are the prime accused.
Special Public Prosecutor N. Devadoss told newsmen that Ananda Sharma, son of the slain Sankararaman, filed a petition before the court today seeking copies of the chargesheet relating to the case. The petitioner said he had to submit them in the context of the plea recently filed by Padma, Sankararaman's wife, before the Madras High Court for transfer of trial from the Puducherry court to the High court.
Following this petition, Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan adjourned the hearing to July 16.
As per the earlier schedule, the court was to have taken up for expeditious disposal the two petitions Padma had filed on April 27 seeking retrial and also police protection.
The police protection had already been granted by the court.
Only six of the 24 accused in the case were present during the hearing today and the absentees included the two seers and petitions were presented listing reasons for their absence.
The two Kanchi seers had been charged under IPC sections 120-B (Criminal Conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
Sankararaman, manager of the Varadaraja Perumal temple here, was murdered on the temple premises on September 3, 2004.
A total of 189 witnesses, including Padma, her son and daughter, were examined during the trial between 2009 and 2011. Eightythree of the witnesses had turned hostile during the trial, shifted here by the Supreme Court on a petition by Jayendra Saraswathi.
Hearing in Sankararaman Case Adjourned to July 16
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Arun Jaitley, Former Union Minister And Senior BJP Leader, Dies At 66
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Arun Jaitley
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- PV Sindhu Progresses To Final At Badminton Worlds
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Final: Joseph-Inspired Gokulam Stun Bagan To Lift Trophy
- Why Is Part Of The Amazon Burning?
- PM Modi Defends Article 370 Move In UAE, Says It Ends 'Isolation' Of J&K Which Was Radicalising Youths