Accusing two Tamil Nadu Ministers and accompanying officials of not providing timely help when a sub-inspector, attacked by a gang, was bleeding to death, a petition was moved in the Madras High Court today.
The petition, filed by city resident C Ayyapparaj, sought a 'fact finding commission' into the killing of the policeman and action against officials for alleged apathy.
When the petition came up for hearing, the Tamil Nadu Government pleader sought time to get instructions from the authorities concerned.
A Division Bench comprising Chief Justice H L Gokhale and Justice K K Sasidharan posted the petition for hearing on February 15 after the government pleader took notice for the respondents, including the Chief Secretary and the DGP.
The petitioner sought action against officials who were present at the spot but failed to provide any help to the victim.
He said after SI Vetrivel was targetted by a gang near Alwarkurichi in Tirunelveli District on January 7, state Health Minister M R K Panneerselvam and Environment Minister T P M Mohideen Khan, who were passing by in a convoy, including top officials, allegedly waited for an ambulance instead of using a car to rush him to hospital.
Stating that private news channels aired footage of the SI pleading with onlookers, who included those from the convoy, the petitioner contended it was disheartening to note that the authorities merely stood there with folded arms without making any attempt to help the victim.
Public servants were expected to serve as role models in society, the petitioner said adding after the incident, there was a general opinion that public safety was in peril as the SI had been attacked in public.
The state had witnessed similar incidents of law enforcement authorities watching as spectators crimes being committed, the petitioner alleged.
HC Moved for Action Against Officials for Apathy in SI Killing
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Indian Army Captures Chinese Soldier In Ladakh
- As Everything Goes Virtual In Pandemic, So Does Dating
- ED Questions Farooq Abdullah, NC Says Political Vendetta After Gupkar Resolution
- Medical Insurance Companies Wash Their Hands Off Covid Claims
- Super Super Over Win For Punjab Vs Mumbai Is Poetic Justice For KL Rahul
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Kerala HC Dismisses State Govt's Plea Against Lease Of Trivandrum Airport
- Reforms Being Introduced In All Sectors To Ensure Growth: PM Modi
- Violent Clashes Break Out At Assam-Mizoram Border
- COVID-19: In A First In 3 Months, India's Daily Death-Toll Dips Below 600
- Bollywood Is Not A Welfare State: Pankaj Tripathi
- Indian-American Teen Wins $25,000 Prize For Potential COVID-19 Treatment
- Anil Kumble Effect: For Kings XI Punjab, It's About Process, Not Result
- Crazy Sunday Witnesses Double Super Over - Explainer, Videos, Reactions