The Calcutta High Court today dismissed a contempt case against three CPI(M) leaders saying proper procedure was followed while filing the case.
A division bench of the High Court, comprising Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice Prosenjit Mondal, discharged the contempt rule against Biman Bose, Benoy Konar and Shyamal Chakraborty filed by High Court Bar Association and Bar Library club saying in doing so proper procedure was not followed.
It was also observed that newspaper reports were cited in favour of the case, but those newspapers were not made party to the case.
The Bar Association and the Bar Library Club moved the High Court on November 24, 2009, praying for suo motu contempt against the 3 CPI(M) leaders for making derogatory remarks against the judiciary at a public rally in the city for observing on November 16, 2007 that the police firing in Nandigram (on March 14, 2007), in which 14 persons were killed, was unconstitutional and also for its ordering a CBI probe.
The next day, the 3 CPI(M) leaders attacked the Judiciary accusing it of bias for ordering the state government to pay compensation to the victims of the police firing in Nandigram.
The High Court issued a suo motu contempt notice to the 3 CPI(M) leaders on November 27, 2007 after being moved by the Bar association and the Bar Library Club.
HC Dismisses Case Against 3 CPI(M) Leaders
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Mehbooba Freed: Govt Must Have Felt Shame, Says Daughter
- SRH Vs CSK: Chennai Beat Hyderabad To Revive Campaign
- Pushpam Priya Chaudhary: Taking On Bihar's Chanakyas
- NHRC Lists Sex Workers As 'Women At Work'; Significant Step, Say Activists
- 'In BJP, Leaders Listen To What The Cadres Have To Say': Khushbu Sundar
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Ronaldo Tests Positive For COVID-19
- NC Backs Farooq’s China Statement, Contest From Wuhan, Says BJP
- Mirzapur Season 2 Will Be Paisa Vasool: Ali Fazal
- MeToo: Judge Seeks Transfer Of M J Akbar's Case Against Priya Ramani
- The Curious Case Of Crude Oil Supply: Will It Ease Further In January?
- Hindu Students From Kashmir To Get 10% Relaxation In Admission Cut Off
- Resurgent Royals Seek Revenge Against Capitals
- 90-Year-Old Man Buried Alive For ‘Witchcraft’, Body Exhumed