The Calcutta High Court today dismissed a contempt case against three CPI(M) leaders saying proper procedure was followed while filing the case.
A division bench of the High Court, comprising Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice Prosenjit Mondal, discharged the contempt rule against Biman Bose, Benoy Konar and Shyamal Chakraborty filed by High Court Bar Association and Bar Library club saying in doing so proper procedure was not followed.
It was also observed that newspaper reports were cited in favour of the case, but those newspapers were not made party to the case.
The Bar Association and the Bar Library Club moved the High Court on November 24, 2009, praying for suo motu contempt against the 3 CPI(M) leaders for making derogatory remarks against the judiciary at a public rally in the city for observing on November 16, 2007 that the police firing in Nandigram (on March 14, 2007), in which 14 persons were killed, was unconstitutional and also for its ordering a CBI probe.
The next day, the 3 CPI(M) leaders attacked the Judiciary accusing it of bias for ordering the state government to pay compensation to the victims of the police firing in Nandigram.
The High Court issued a suo motu contempt notice to the 3 CPI(M) leaders on November 27, 2007 after being moved by the Bar association and the Bar Library Club.
HC Dismisses Case Against 3 CPI(M) Leaders
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Arun Jaitley, Former Union Minister And Senior BJP Leader, Dies At 66
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Arun Jaitley
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- 1st Test, Day 3: Rahane Takes IND To Commanding Position Over WI
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Cup Final: Vicuna Blames Refereeing For MB's Loss To GKFC
- '..We End Up With Our Voice Being Taken Away,': IAS Officer Hailed For Role During Kerala Floods, Quits
- PM Modi Defends Article 370 Move In UAE, Says It Ends 'Isolation' Of J&K Which Was Radicalising Youths