The Bombay High Court today admitted an appeal filed by gangster-turned-politician Arun Gawli against a lower court order sentencing him to life imprisonment for the murder of Shiv Sena corporator Kamlakar Jamsandekar in 2007.
The appeal was admitted by Justice Abhay Oka and Justice S S Jadhav and will come up for hearing in due course.
Gawli contended that the Sessions Court verdict was bad in law and based on non-application of mind.
On August 24, Gawli, former MLA and 11 others were found guilty of murdering Jamsandekar in 2008. According to the chargesheet, a sum of Rs 30 lakh was paid to the Gawli gang for eliminating the Sena corporator over a land deal.
Ten others were also awarded life imprisonment in the case by the Special MCOCA court last month.
Gawli has been in custody since his arrest in May 2008. On October 7, 2010, the court had framed charges against Gawli and other accused under MCOCA, sections 302 (murder), 34 (common intention) and 120B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC. Gawli and others had pleaded innocence.
HC Admits Arun Gawli's Appeal Against Life Term
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- OPINION | Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- March To Delhi Temple Demolition Site Was 'Personal Decision': Dalit Body
- Etawah 'Ragging' Case: Police, VC Deny Medical Students Were Forced To Shave Heads
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh
- Live, Windies v India, 1st Test, Day 1: IND Lose Mayank Agarwal Early
- 'Yeh Mauka Ka Khel Hai' - Sehwag Wants Rohit To Get Long Run In Tests
- MP CM Kamal Nath's Nephew Ratul Puri Moves Court To Surrender In AgustaWestland Case