Legendary singer Bhupen Hazarika has been posthumously chosen for Padma Vibhushan, country's second highest civilian honour while cine veterans Dharmendra, Shabana Azmi and Mira Nair are among this year's Padma Bhushan awardees.
Hazarika, who died in November last year, voiced immortal songs like Dil hum hum kare, Ganga behti ho kyun.
Dharmendra, 76, the star of yesteryear superhits like Bandini, Sholay, Pratigya and Dharam Veer, was chosen for the Padma Bhushan along with actress-activist Shabana Azmi, 61, who has acted in art house films like Ankur and Arth.
Indian-American filmmaker Mira Nair, best known for her award-winning films "Saalam Bombay", "Namesake" and "Monsoon Wedding" was another name from the cinema world to get a Padma Bhushan.
The other recipients are classical musician Trippunithwra Viswanathan Gopalkrishnan, musician M S Gopalkrishnan from Tamil Nadu.
Filmmaker Soman Nair Priyadarsan and bhajan singer Anup Jalota were given Padma Shri.
The other artists selected for Padma Shri are -- musician Vanraj Bhatia, vocalist Zia Fariduddin Dagar, Khongjum Parba singer Nameirakpam Ibemni Devi, dancer Ramachandra Subraya Hegde Chittani, sitarist Shahid Parvez Khan, folk musician Sakar Khan Manganiar, dancer Minati Mishra, theatre artists Joy Michael, Natesan Muthuswamy, R Nagarathnamma, playwrights Moti Lal Kemmu, Satish Alekar, Chhau dance artist Pandit Gopal Prasad Dubey, classical vocalists Ramakant Gundecha and Umakant Gundecha.
The awards, announced each year on the occasion of Republic Day, are conferred by the President of India at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhawan sometime in March or April.
Hazarika, Dharmendra Among Padma Award Recipients
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Arun Jaitley, Former Union Minister And Senior BJP Leader, Dies At 66
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Arun Jaitley
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- PV Sindhu Progresses To Final At Badminton Worlds
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Final: Joseph-Inspired Gokulam Stun Bagan To Lift Trophy
- Why Is Part Of The Amazon Burning?
- PM Modi Defends Article 370 Move In UAE, Says It Ends 'Isolation' Of J&K Which Was Radicalising Youths