Legendary singer Bhupen Hazarika has been posthumously chosen for Padma Vibhushan, country's second highest civilian honour while cine veterans Dharmendra, Shabana Azmi and Mira Nair are among this year's Padma Bhushan awardees.
Hazarika, who died in November last year, voiced immortal songs like Dil hum hum kare, Ganga behti ho kyun.
Dharmendra, 76, the star of yesteryear superhits like Bandini, Sholay, Pratigya and Dharam Veer, was chosen for the Padma Bhushan along with actress-activist Shabana Azmi, 61, who has acted in art house films like Ankur and Arth.
Indian-American filmmaker Mira Nair, best known for her award-winning films "Saalam Bombay", "Namesake" and "Monsoon Wedding" was another name from the cinema world to get a Padma Bhushan.
The other recipients are classical musician Trippunithwra Viswanathan Gopalkrishnan, musician M S Gopalkrishnan from Tamil Nadu.
Filmmaker Soman Nair Priyadarsan and bhajan singer Anup Jalota were given Padma Shri.
The other artists selected for Padma Shri are -- musician Vanraj Bhatia, vocalist Zia Fariduddin Dagar, Khongjum Parba singer Nameirakpam Ibemni Devi, dancer Ramachandra Subraya Hegde Chittani, sitarist Shahid Parvez Khan, folk musician Sakar Khan Manganiar, dancer Minati Mishra, theatre artists Joy Michael, Natesan Muthuswamy, R Nagarathnamma, playwrights Moti Lal Kemmu, Satish Alekar, Chhau dance artist Pandit Gopal Prasad Dubey, classical vocalists Ramakant Gundecha and Umakant Gundecha.
The awards, announced each year on the occasion of Republic Day, are conferred by the President of India at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhawan sometime in March or April.
Hazarika, Dharmendra Among Padma Award Recipients
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid-19?
- ID Proof, Positive Covid Report Not Mandatory For Hospitalisation: Centre
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In Tamil Nadu Releases Election Expenses
- Game Over, Or Halftime? Mamata Faces Full-Blown Tussle With BJP
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- ‘Need To Look At Every Aspect That Caused Poll Defeat’: Sonia To Cong
- Delhi’s Covaxin Stock Will Run Out In A Day: Satyendar Jain
- 34 AMU Professors Succumb To Covid In Last 18 Days
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- M.K. Stalin: The Prince Who Finally Became King
- Bach Cancels Japan Trip Because Of COVID Cases
- Shafali Verma Set To Play In The Hundred, May Feature In WBBL Also