Legendary singer Bhupen Hazarika has been posthumously chosen for Padma Vibhushan, country's second highest civilian honour while cine veterans Dharmendra, Shabana Azmi and Mira Nair are among this year's Padma Bhushan awardees.
Hazarika, who died in November last year, voiced immortal songs like Dil hum hum kare, Ganga behti ho kyun.
Dharmendra, 76, the star of yesteryear superhits like Bandini, Sholay, Pratigya and Dharam Veer, was chosen for the Padma Bhushan along with actress-activist Shabana Azmi, 61, who has acted in art house films like Ankur and Arth.
Indian-American filmmaker Mira Nair, best known for her award-winning films "Saalam Bombay", "Namesake" and "Monsoon Wedding" was another name from the cinema world to get a Padma Bhushan.
The other recipients are classical musician Trippunithwra Viswanathan Gopalkrishnan, musician M S Gopalkrishnan from Tamil Nadu.
Filmmaker Soman Nair Priyadarsan and bhajan singer Anup Jalota were given Padma Shri.
The other artists selected for Padma Shri are -- musician Vanraj Bhatia, vocalist Zia Fariduddin Dagar, Khongjum Parba singer Nameirakpam Ibemni Devi, dancer Ramachandra Subraya Hegde Chittani, sitarist Shahid Parvez Khan, folk musician Sakar Khan Manganiar, dancer Minati Mishra, theatre artists Joy Michael, Natesan Muthuswamy, R Nagarathnamma, playwrights Moti Lal Kemmu, Satish Alekar, Chhau dance artist Pandit Gopal Prasad Dubey, classical vocalists Ramakant Gundecha and Umakant Gundecha.
The awards, announced each year on the occasion of Republic Day, are conferred by the President of India at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhawan sometime in March or April.
Hazarika, Dharmendra Among Padma Award Recipients
THE LATEST ISSUE
- UK PM Boris Johnson Tests Positive For Coronavirus, Experiences Cough, Temperature
- RBI Decision On Moratorium On Term Loan Payments Big Relief, Will Help Reduce Financial Stress On Borrowers
- How State Governments Are Managing The Coronavirus Pandemic Amid 21-day Lockdown
- Hundreds Of Pets Abandoned In Mumbai After WHO Hoardings On COVID-19 Trigger Panic
- Hit By Coronavirus Lockdown, 90-Year-Old Kajodi Trudges Home, 400 Km Away
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus: Stop Mass Exodus Of Labourers, MHA Asks States
- The Delhi Cop Who Looks After 350 Poor Families Amid Covid-19 Lockdown
- Coronavirus: RBI Reduces Key Repo Rate By 75 Basis Points To 4.4%
- Arvind Kejriwal Announces Daily Meals For 4 Lakh People Amid Lockdown
- Remember These Titans: Athletes On Police Duty Amid COVID-19 Lockdown
- Kabul Gurdwara Attack Pak Attempt To Rupture Strong Indo-Afghan Ties
- Times Group Sends ThePrint Legal Notice For Story On Covid19 Spread Through Paper
- Tendulkar Donates 50 Lakh To Fight COVID-19