The passage of the Lokayukta bill in Uttarakhand today earned Chief Minister B C Khanduri praise from Anna Hazare, who urged the Centre and other states to follow suit, even as he slammed BJP government in Gujarat for not enacting a similar measure.
"The Lokayukta Bill passed by the Uttarakhand assembly and its Chief Minister B C Khanduri is big thing for the country.... Very soon you will see its effect when this law reaches the villages and people will start to feel its powers," Hazare said after meeting Khanduri here.
In reply to a poser on whether he was supporting BJP, Hazare said, "Even Gujarat is a BJP ruled state. But it is not implementing the Lokayukta bill for the past so many years. It is not easy to make such law and it requires a concerted effort of everyone which requires a strong leadership."
Praising Khanduri, he said the country is governed by the rule of law and its system is based on justice. "We have chosen the top-most people here to make strong laws, and I think this work done by Khanduri is very important as it can show a new path to the entire nation."
He said the Centre and other states should also follow Uttarakhand's example.
Appearing before a Parliamentary Committee yesterday, Team Anna had demanded that the government version of the Lokpal Bill should follow the Uttarakhand model.
"I feel assured that Uttarakhand will become the headmaster for the entire nation for this law," he said.
Hazare said he was not praising any particular party but a person who has worked for the passage of the Lokayukta bill.
Asked if UPA passes the Lokpal Bill in the Winter Session of Parliament, he said, "We will definitely support them. Whosoever works for the betterment of the country, we would respect them. I will surely visit Uttarakhand."
Khanduri said Hazare has been his "inspiration" for the passage of the bill.
The Uttarakhand Lokayukta Bill brings under its purview the Chief Minister, ministers and government servants, including IAS and IPS officers, and with a provision for punishment extending up to life imprisonment.
Hazare Praises Khanduri for Lokpal in Uttarakhand
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Arun Jaitley, Former Union Minister And Senior BJP Leader, Dies At 66
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Arun Jaitley
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- PV Sindhu Progresses To Final At Badminton Worlds
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Final: Joseph-Inspired Gokulam Stun Bagan To Lift Trophy
- Why Is Part Of The Amazon Burning?
- PM Modi Defends Article 370 Move In UAE, Says It Ends 'Isolation' Of J&K Which Was Radicalising Youths