A local court today issued a non-bailable warrant against Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi for allegedly making a "hate speech" against a particular community.
Based on a private complaint of Kashimshetty Karunasagar, a practising advocate, the VII Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate court here issued the
non-bailable warrant with a direction to Maddannapet police to produce Akbaruddin before it on May 9.
Akbaruddin's counsel Mohd Azim filed an application in the court seeking recall of the
"We have filed an application seeking to cancel the NBW. The court has posted the matter for tomorrow," Azim told
PTI, adding that his client was ready to appear before the court.
Karunasagar had filed a complaint on December 28 last year in the court seeking registration of a case against Akbaruddin under Section 295-A (deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs), 153-A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion) and other relevant sections of the
He had alleged that he saw an online video wherein Akbaruddin, who represents Chandrayangutta Assembly seat, was seen using inflammatory and derogatory words against a particular community, while addressing a public meeting at Nirmal town.
Earlier, the Second Metropolitan Magistrate of Ranga Reddy district had issued a
non-bailable warrant against Akbaruddin on April 16 after he failed to appear before it in a hate speech case lodged against him at Nirmal town in Adilabad district.
Police had suo-motu booked cases in Nirmal and Nizamabad districts against the MIM legislator after he allegedly used inflammatory and derogatory language against a community during his public speeches in December last year.
The MIM leader also faces charges of sedition and waging war against the nation among others, under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code.
Subsequently, multiple cases were lodged against Akbaruddin following court directives across Andhra Pradesh.
42-year-old Akbaruddin, the MIM's floor leader in the Andhra Pradesh Assembly, was arrested by the Nirmal police from Gandhi Hospital in Hyderabad on January 8. He was later released on bail on February 15.
Hate Speech: Court Issues NBW Against Akbaruddin
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronvirus Live Updates: I Seek Forgiveness For Causing Hardships To You, Says PM; Cases In India Rise to 979
- Coronavirus Lockdown: 39-year-old Delivery Boy, Who Left For Home On Foot, Dies In Agra
- Amid COVID-19 Risk, Thousands Of Migrant Workers Queue At Delhi Bus Terminals To Leave For Hometowns
- What India Could Have Done To Better Handle The Deadly Coronavirus
- Hockey Coach Reid Says Quarantine Has Been A Blessing in Disguise
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- 55-yr-old Man From Kashmir's Baramulla Dies Due To COVID-19; UT Has 33 Cases
- What India Has Now Is A Clone Emergency: Just Ask The Police
- Italy Records Another 889 Coronavirus Deaths, Spain 832 In Single Day
- Soaring Bus Fares Worsens Distress Of Migrant Workers Amid Covid-19 Crisis
- IAS Officer In Odisha Draws Public Ire For 'Violating' 14-Day Home Quarantine
- 'They Pelted Stones To Attack': Police Blank Fire In Assam To Close Market
- Tokyo Olympics Organisers Consider July 2021 For Opening Ceremony
- COVID-19: Rahane Donates 10 Lakh