Keeping with an interim order passed by the Supreme Court in connection with the disbursement of funds of Harshad Mehta Group (HMG),the Bombay High Court has directed the custodian of assests of the late stock broker to release Rs 1995.66 crore to the Income Tax department, to clear their dues.
The I-T department had moved the High Court to claim its dues for the 10-month period when the securities scam perpetrated by the 'Big Bull' hit the market in 1991-92.
Justice D K Deshmukh, presiding over the Special Court (Trial of Offences relating to Transactions under Securities Act, 1992) on Friday ordered for the amount to be handed over from the funds of HMG, which is presently in the possession of a custodian, appointed by the High Court.
The family members of Mehta had approached the Supreme Court earlier challenging the custodian's possession of funds stating that certain properties were held in their name individually and was not part of HMG.
The apex court had on February 21, in an interim order directed the High Court to disburse the dues from the amount with the custodian. The SC had however observed that if the order is reversed, the money would have to be returned.
The HC asked for an undertaking of the Finance Secretary promising to return the amount when asked by the court.
Apart from dues of the IT department, the High Court has also directed the custodian to pay Rs 25 crore to CanBank Financial Services and Rs 200 crore to the State Bank of India. The banks have also been directed to give a similar undertaking.
The Joint Parliamentary Committee, set up for the 1992 scam, had estimated the quantum of the scam at approximately Rs 4,400 crore.
Harshad Mehta Case: I-T Dept to Get Rs. 1995-Cr Dues
THE LATEST ISSUE
- LJP Leader Ram Vilas Paswan Passes Away At The Age Of 74
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Spins Hyderabad To Big Win After Warner-Bairstow Show
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation: Mumbai Police
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Development Of Ladakh Troubles China: Anurag Thakur
- Hathras Case: Accused Claims Victim's Family Was 'Against Our Friendship'
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar’s Suicide Note Hints At Depression
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- UP Police Violated SC Guidelines: Kerala Journalists Union
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- I Am Still A Student Of Cinema: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- IPL 2020: Why Gayle Missed Out On Playing His First Match For KXIP