The Navy today said Pakistan's illegal modification of US-supplied anti-ship Harpoon missiles to strike land-based targets was against "India's interest" and vowed to blunt such threats.
The Navy while voicing concern over this action by Pakistan also pointed to the "danger of proliferation" on several occasions.
"This has nothing to do with (Pakistan's) self-defence and it is against India's interest," outgoing Naval Chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta told reporters shortly after handing over charge to his successor Admiral Nirmal Verma.
This shows the "danger of proliferation and we have been telling this from time to time," Admiral Mehta said.
Mehta's comments came in response to questions on the New York Times report that Pakistan had illegally modified the Harpoon missile enabling it to strike land-based targets, that could be a potential to the threat. Pakistan has rejected the charge.
Mehta's assessment was shared by Admiral Verma who said this is one reason why government has been expressing concern over a period of time about the transfers that are going on to "our neighbour", in a veiled reference to Pakistan.
But the new chief said the Navy's endeavour would be to ensure nobody came within the striking distance of India and launch such missiles.
"Our endeavour during maritime operations is to ensure that nobody comes within a (striking) distance and launches such missiles," he said.
"We should have confidence in our armed forces. They are equipped, trained and have tactics to counter any threat," Admiral Verma added.
'Harpoon Modification Poses Danger of Proliferation'
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Corpses Found Floating In Ganga
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himachal: Cyber Thugs Target Covid Patients With False Promises Of Hospital Beds, Remdesivir
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In TN Releases Election Expenses
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine