Pakistan's Ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani today met the country’s top civilian and military leadership to explain his position on a controversial secret memorandum that was purportedly sent by the government to seek American help to prevent a military coup.
The meeting between the envoy and the leadership was underway at the Prime Minister's House, TV news channels reported.
President Asif Ali Zardari, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, army chief Gen Ashfaq Kayani and Inter-Services Intelligence agency chief Lt Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha were present at the meeting, the reports said.
It was initially reported that the meeting would be held at the presidency but presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar told the media that no such meeting had been scheduled during the day.
Confusion surrounded the reports about the meeting.
One news channel quoted its sources as saying that Haqqani had been confronted by the ISI chief with evidence regarding the memo.
There was no official word whatsoever about the meeting.
Haqqani has been at the centre of a controversy since Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz claimed he had drafted and delivered the memo to former US military chief Admiral Mike Mullen in May on the instructions of the envoy.
Haqqani has dismissed Ijaz's claims and said he was considering legal action against the businessman.
The memo made public by Ijaz said the Pakistan government had sought US help to stave off a military coup in the wake of the American raid that killed Osama bin Laden in the garrison town of Abbottabad on May 2.
The memo further said the government would revamp Pakistan’s national security set-up by removing elements with links to militants.
Haqqani has said he was ready to resign to defuse the crisis.
US Ambassador to Pakistan Cameron Munter today said his country was prepared to help in any investigation into the memo if it was asked to do so.
Haqqani Meets Pak Leadership to Explain 'Memogate'
Rezaul H Laskar/Islamabad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Arun Jaitley, Former Union Minister And Senior BJP Leader, Dies At 66
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Arun Jaitley
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- PV Sindhu Progresses To Final At Badminton Worlds
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Final: Joseph-Inspired Gokulam Stun Bagan To Lift Trophy
- Why Is Part Of The Amazon Burning?
- PM Modi Defends Article 370 Move In UAE, Says It Ends 'Isolation' Of J&K Which Was Radicalising Youths