Calling for a "mature conversation" over the incidents of hate crimes, Indian ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao has resonated views expressed by President Barack Obama saying the country needs soul searching in the wake of Oak Creek gurudwara shooting.
"We need an architecture of soul searching on this. We really need an architecture, whether it's hate crime, whether it's domestic terrorism. Why is it happening? We need some soul searching. Why do acts of violence of this nature happen? We need a mature conversation on that," Rao said in an interview to the popular National Public Radio yesterday.
"So when President Obama spoke about soul searching, you know, the need for soul searching on these issues, I think he really hit the nail on the head," said Rao, who travelled to Wisconsin to meet victims families and government officials after the weekend's shooting incident.
"I know that the authorities described it as an act of domestic terrorism, and I don't really want to pick holes in that, you know, definition.
"But I know that the Sikh community and the - you know, I keep in touch with the Sikhs all over the country, and they have talked about the fact that they have encountered problems from time to time when, in the - let's say in schools or in the workplace," she said.
Rao said in India when the news broke of the shooting, people were agitated.
"We're emotional people, and the first reactions are always emotional and of concern and outrage, she said, this was not the case at the government level.
"Well, anger in the sense - this is at the level of the people. I would say that at the level of the governments, the two governments, the reactions have been very sober, very restrained. But when it comes to people - and we live in democracies. You know, they express their emotions freely, and that's what you saw happening," said the Ambassador.
Gurudwara Shooting: Rao Calls for Mature Conversation
Lalit K Jha/Washington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly