Gujarat Food and civil supplies Minister Narottam Patel turned 77 amidst a novel celebration, where he was weighed with blood ('Tula Daan') on a weighing scale decorated with flowers.
The celebration was organised apparently to impress the Patel community, a big vote bank in the election-bound Gujarat.
BJP party workers and his supporters for last couple of days had organised a blood donation camp across the city.
They reportedly collected 70 litres of blood to counter balance the minister's 70 kg body weight on the massive weighing scale, for the bizarre celebration.
On one side of the scale sat the Minister with all smiles over the novel felicitation, and on the other hand an ice box filled with blood bags was placed, party sources said.
A senior minister in the Narendra Modi-led government, Patel turned 77 yesterday and was weighed with blood last night, sources said.
Buoyed by the act, the minister said he felt honoured.
Trying to draw mileage from the celebration, the minister drew parallels with freedom fighter Subash Chandra Bose and stated that he (Bose) had once said "Tum Mujhe khoon do mein tumhe azaadi doonga".
"I will fight for them (the people), considering that they have given me their blood," Patel said.
The blood bags collected by his supporters were handed over to various blood banks in the city.
Earlier, in a similar show of strength, BJP leader R C Faldu was weighed with blood by his supporters about two years ago, sources said.
Gujarat Minister Weighed With Blood to Honour Birthday
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Medical Insurance Companies Wash Their Hands Off Covid Claims
- Violent Clashes Break Out At Assam-Mizoram Border
- MI Vs KXIP: Gayle Bosses Over Mumbai In Super Super Over Win
- People Were Unhappy When BJP Could Not Return To Power: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- Deity, Donations And Divine Intervention
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Crazy Sunday Witnesses Double Super Over - Explainer, Videos, Reactions
- SRH Vs KKR: Ferguson Sets Up Super Over Win For Kolkata
- Indian Democracy Passing Through Its Most Difficult Phase: Sonia Gandhi
- Pollution May Increase Virus Transmissibility: Experts
- Amendment Of J&K Panchayati Raj Act Will Delay Assembly Polls: Cong
- Tourists Skip Shimla Hotels For Rural Homestays
- Cowherd's Son In Tamil Nadu Clears NEET, Seeks Financial Help To Study
- Time To Liberate Aksai Chin, Gilgit Baltistan, Says Kashmir BJP Chief