Gujarat Government will observe April 16 as the 'Tribal Martyrs Day' every year in memory of five patriots from the state who were hanged by the British in 1868.
"The stories of rebellion and martyrdom by Gujarat's tribal leaders against tyranny of foreign rulers had remained buried in history and I have unfolded the chapter about the valour of these five forgotten leaders from tribal-dominated town of Jmbughod," Chief Minister Narendra Modi said yesterday after paying tributes to the martyrs in the Panchmahals district.
Joriya Parmeshwar, Rupsingh Nayak, Golaliya Nayak, Ravjida Nayak and Babariya Galama Nayal were sent to the gallows on April 16, 1868 by the Britishers in Jambughoda town of Panchmahals district.
"I had gone to this place to show repentance of the sins committed by the past governments, of erasing the memories of such mute martyrs," Modi told PTI after paying his tributes.
"It is unfortunate that sacrifices of a large number of martyrs, who laid their lives for freedom of our nation, have been deliberately erased by some elements so that people could no longer remember their martyrdom," he alleged.
Without taking name of Congress, Modi said "martyrdom could not be monopolised by a single family as being deliberately and intentionally described by some people".
The chief minister also announced that 'Van Mahotsav' in the memory of a local martyr Govinda Guru will be celebrated after two months.
He named a primary school at Vadek after one of the martyrs as 'Parmeshwar primary school' and 'Dandiyapara primary school' after Rupsinh Nayak.
"A memorial would be built in near future and a Tribal Martyrs Day will be observed every year in tribute to the martyrs," Modi said.
Gujarat Govt to Observe Apr 16 as Tribal Martyrs Day
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Atal Tunnel: FIR Over ‘Missing’ Foundation Stone Laid By Sonia Gandhi
- RCB Vs KKR: Bangalore Hammer Kolkata By 82 Runs
- Madhubani Diary: Dalit Artist Paints A Portrait With Words
- Rhea Chakraborty Urges CBI To Arrest Neighbour For False Statement
- Casteaways: Hathras Throws Up Uncomfortable Questions For BJP
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Bollywood Producers Approach HC, Against Several Media Houses
- 100% Cut Off In DU Admissions
- Indo-US Defence Meet: US Likely To Go Hard On China
- Mumbai: Electricity Restored In Many Parts Of City, CM Orders Probe
- IPL 2020: Faltering CSK Up Against SRH
- Carlton Chapman Dies At 49
- Hathras Case: Victim's Family Members Appear Before HC
- Khushbu Sundar Dropped As Congress Spokesperson, Joins BJP Formally