Historian Ramachandra Guha, Gopalakrishna Pai and Kashinath Singh are among 22 writers selected for this year's prestigious Sahitya Akademi awards.
While Guha will get the award for his book of narrative history -- India After Gandhi, Pai and Kashinath Singh are being recognised for their novels -- Swapna Saraswat and Rehan Per Ragghu respectively.
Eight books of poetry, seven novels, three essays and one each short stories, narrative history, biography and play have been selected for the awards.
The awards, which were announced today, are given every year and contain an engraved cooper plaque, a shawl and a cheque of Rs 1 lakh.
Writers in 23 languages are recognized every year by the Akademi.The books were selected on the basis of recommendations made by a jury of three members in each language.
Other writers who will get the award are Late Kabin Phukan (Assamese), Manindra Gupta (Bengali), Premananda Mosahari (Bodo), Lalit Magotra (Dogri), Mohan Parmar (Gujarati), Naseem Shafaie (Kashmiri), Melvyn Rodrigues (Konkani), M K Sanu (Malayalam), Kshetri Bira (Manipuri), Grace (Marathi), Kalpanakumari Devi (Odia) and Baldev Singh (Punjabi).
Atul Kanakk (Rajasthani), Harekrishna Satapathy (Sanskrit), Adiyta Kumar Mandi (Santali), Mohan Gehani (Sindhi), S Venkatesan (Tamil), Samala Sadasiva (Telugu) and Khalell Mamoon (Urdu) are the other winners.
Guha Among 22 Sahitya Akademi Awardees
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Live Updates: Rs 50 Lakh Medical Insurance Cover Per Person For Paramedics, Doctors, ASHA Workers: FM
- 'Dogs Roamed Around. I Thought Corona Was Better Than Rabies': Kashmiri Woman On Quarantine Facility
- 800 Who Came In Contact With COVID-19 Positive Delhi Doctor Quarantined
- Harassment Of Workers Threatens Production Of Coronavirus Testing Kits
- 'Exercise, Exercise, Exercise': Omar Abdullah Talks About Time In Detention
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Doctors, Nurses Fighting Coronavirus Can't Even Get To Hospitals With Dignity
- Coronavirus Infection Rate Slows In Italy, But Deaths Continue To Rise
- With Over 3,600 Coronavirus Deaths, Spain Surpasses China's Death Toll
- COVID-19: Wimbledon Could Be Postponed Or Cancelled – Organisers
- Coronavirus: Outlook Suspends Print Edition Temporarily, Goes Digital
- J&K Govt Traces, Quarantines 150 People With International Travel History
- Sonia Writes To PM Modi Supporting Lockdown, Suggests Measures
- Stokes Continues With IPL Preparations Despite Cancellation Threat