The Guardian newspaper today apologised to the Sun, part of Rupert Murdoch's News International group, for reporting that it accessed former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown's son's medical records.
The Guardian had claimed this week that the Sun hacked into Brown's son
Fraser's medical records before reporting he had cystic fibrosis.
The Sun said its source was the father of another child with cystic fibrosis who heard the news "on the grapevine".
"In fact the information came from a different source and the Guardian
apologises for its error," the paper wrote in its corrections column.
The Sun newspaper had strongly denied accessing Brown's family medical
records without his knowledge. Brown was chancellor of the exchequer in
The paper said its 2006 story came from a member of the public, and released a video interview with the unidentified man.
Brown said he was left "in tears" when he was told that the Sun was publishing the story.
He said he did not know how the newspaper got access to the details but
said: "I can't think of any way that the medical condition of a child
can be put into the public arena legitimately unless the doctor makes a
statement or the family makes a statement."
The paper said the man's own child also had cystic fibrosis and he wanted to raise awareness of the condition.
The Sun, published by Rupert Murdoch's News International, said it had
conducted an inquiry into the allegations and that it had not accessed
the medical records of Brown's son or commissioned anyone to do so.
Guardian Apologizes to Sun Over Gordon Brown Story
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK: Faf, Watson Crush Punjab
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Bihar Elections: 47 Open Grounds, 19 Halls For Public Rallies
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- Man Utd 1-6 Spurs: Red Devils Suffer Joint-record Home Defeat