The government and political parties should learn lessons from the Bhopal gas tragedy and make sure that such disasters does not occur anywhere in the country, Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Udyog Sangthan said today.
"It was the need of the hour to draw proper lessons from the disaster and make sure that such thing does not happen again anywhere else in the country," Sangthan convenor Abdul Jabbar told PTI.
The Sangthan convenor said that governments must also ensure that multi-nationals are not allowed to set up companies in the country where they can ignore laws and play with the lives of the people.
"It was sad that these MNCs think by paying compensation there responsibility is over and are not concerned about human lives which has to suffer for the entire life," he said.
Many of such companies play havoc with the nation's environment, he said, adding that this was something that cannot be allowed at any cost.
The people of Bhopal have been suffering since the leakage of the lethal Methyl Iso Cyanate gas from the Union Carbide plant in December 1984 and there are no signs that the suffering will end soon, Jabbar said.
The Sangthan convenor said that his organization would soon move the High Court against the judgement delivered by the
Chief Judicial magistrate on June seven.
Jabbar said it was a cruel joke played on the Bhopal gas victims that the disaster which claimed more than 15,000 lives and injured several thousand others, not even a single person had been sent to jail for even an hour.
"The people of Bhopal are sad that no one has been sent to jail in the aftermath of the disaster," he said.
The persons who were convicted on Monday last got bail in less than an hour and there was no need for them to go to jail.
Govt Should Take Lessons From Bhopal Gas Tragedy
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Arun Jaitley, Former Union Minister And Senior BJP Leader, Dies At 66
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Arun Jaitley
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- PV Sindhu Progresses To Final At Badminton Worlds
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Final: Joseph-Inspired Gokulam Stun Bagan To Lift Trophy
- Why Is Part Of The Amazon Burning?
- PM Modi Defends Article 370 Move In UAE, Says It Ends 'Isolation' Of J&K Which Was Radicalising Youths