Union Minority Welfare Minister, Salman Khursid, a key member of the joint drafting committee on the Lokpal Bill, today defended the government’s approach as 'sensitive and lenient' and said none could be above the existing parliamentary system.
"The government's approach on the issue is sensitive and lenient as we discussed nine times to find a solution with civil society members," Khurshid who was here to campaign for the July 1 Jamshedpur parliamentary by-election for his party, told a press conference.
Asked about Anna Hazare’s threat to re-launch his agitation, the minister said it seemed that the Gandhian wanted to challenge Parliament.
Probably, for the first time, he said, the government discussed the issue with unelected members, thus exhibiting it’s seriousness on black-money and corruption.
The minister said that the government and civil society had differences over two issues including the concept of the Lokpal Bill.
Khursid said the proposed Bill would be tabled in the forthcoming monsoon session of Parliament beginning August 1.
On the June 4 Baba Ramdev episode, Khursid said the yoga guru was granted permission to hold a yoga camp at the Ramlila Maidan in Delhi.
Asked about the Mayawati-led Uttar Pradesh government’s stand over a recent Congress rally, he said "it is our responsibility to raise voices for the people and we are ready to violate prohibitory orders, if required."
Govt Sensitive and Lenient on Lokpal Bill: Khurshid
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Unnao Rape Survivor Accident: CBI Books UP Minister's Son-In-Law, Kuldeep Sengar For Murder
- AugustaWestland Case: Kamal Nath's Nephew Ratul Puri Threatening Witnesses, Says ED
- Watch: UP Schoolgirl Stumps Cops With Questions About Unnao Rape Survivor Accident
- In Wake Of CCD Owner's Case, Industrialist Anand Mahindra Has A Piece Of Advice For Entrepreneurs
- Blog | Govinda Does Not Deserve The Lampoon Over Avatar Claims
- Govinda Does Not Deserve The Lampoon Over Avatar Claims
- For All Practical Purposes, BJD Is Now A Part Of NDA
- After India's Chandrayaan-2, Time To See What Other Countries Are Planning On Space Front
- If Chandrayaan-2 Is Successful, India Will Grab Headlines Globally -- For A Positive Reason
- In Choosing New President, Congress Has Opportunity To Change Two Crucial Things About Party Politics
- Kashmir Press Club Polls: For Dignity Of 'Unbuttoned Shirts' And Space to Exchange Ideas
- CJI To Take Up Unnao Rape Survivor's Letter On 'Threats' Tomorrow, Says It Didn't Reach Him
- ‘Are We Delivering Pizzas?’ Derek O'Brien On Hurried Passage Of Bills
- Ganguly Shoots Straight, Reminds What Rights Kohli Has In Coach Selection
- Customer Cancels Order Over 'Non-Hindu' Delivery Boy, This Is How Zomato Responded
- ENG Vs AUS, Ashes 2019, 1st Test Preview
- Demonetisation, GST Rollout Perfect Examples Of Modi Govt's Lack Of Depth, Ineptitude: Rahul Gandhi
- Missing CCD Founder VG Siddhartha's Body Found On River Bank, Police Suspect Suicide
- 2,500 Rare, Stolen Books Recovered From SP Leader Azam Khan's University