Observing that political power has become 'fragmented', Rajya Sabha MP N K Singh has said it was time for Congress-led UPA to "loosen" its economic control over the States.
"..Budget is not a panacea to develop the Nation's economy..Should we not, after so many years of Independence, begin to forget what happens in Delhi and begin to see what happens in Patna, Chennai, Bhubaneshwar, or Mumbai?", Singh said, delivering his lecture on 'Budget 2012', organised by Rajaji Institute of Public Affairs here last night.
"If the Central government continues to exercise (its power) on State governments' -- what schemes you should do, how should you fund it... It is time they loosen this (stand) and give up this excessive economic control over States."
Singh, who belongs to JDU, said one should not forget that about 120 centrally sponsored schemes were being taken up. "Where is the money for the schemes coming from?..They have come from taking money what are normally entitled for States' and putting them in the Central government's kitty", he said.
Noting that the issue on Centre-State relations was taking 'centre-stage' (in the recent past), he said, "there are too many conflicts which are taking place there (on centre-state relations).
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had informed him that an Inter-State economic forum, to be headed by him (Mukherjee) would be set up to address the issue, Singh said.
The forum would consist of various Chief Ministers' so that economic issues concerning states can be discussed with the Centre, he said.
He flayed the union budget, saying the Centre had given the people promises and hopes "without crafting underpinnings of that hope...They have created expectations without any coherence of how those expectations are to be met.."
"..In some ways we are at cross-roads.As far as Indian economy is concerned, growth has stagnated.Politics look uncertain and future looks fragile", he said.
Govt Must Loosen Economic Control Over States: JDU
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK: Faf, Watson Crush Punjab
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Bihar Elections: 47 Open Grounds, 19 Halls For Public Rallies
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- Man Utd 1-6 Spurs: Red Devils Suffer Joint-record Home Defeat