Dubbing the draft recommendations of a parliamentary committee on Lokpal Bill a "mere formality", Uttarakhand Chief Minister B C Khanduri today said such an ombudsman cannot curb corruption.
"It's too premature to speak on it (the Lokpal Bill under consideration of the Parliamentary Committee). But the way they are talking, it seems to be a mere formality...It is not correct. What's the use of having a mere formality on the issue of Lokpal as it will have no control over corruption," he told reporters here.
Khanduri said his state has made an effort to set up a Lokayukta institution which is above administrative and financial "pressures" to deal with corruption.
The Uttarakhand legislation, on the lines of the Jan Lokpal Bill prepared by Team Anna, will cover ministers, including the chief minister and government servants including IAS and IPS officers, besides the lower judiciary.
The bill provides for minimum punishment of six months and the maximum of life imprisonment. It will also have former chief ministers, ministers and retired officers under its purview but leaves Uttarakhand High Court judges out of it.
The Lokayukta will consist of a chairperson and five members with a scope of increasing the number to seven as per the requirement.
Govt Lokpal Bill a 'Mere Formality': Khanduri
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 31 People Dead In Rain-Related Incidents In Telangana, AP, Maharashtra
- When We Return To Power, Will Put Back Sonia's Plaque At Tunnel: Himachal Congress Leader
- Mehbooba Mufti To Attend Meeting Of Gupkar Declaration Signatories
- DC Vs RR: Delhi Choke Rajasthan After Dhawan, Iyer Fifties
- The Lonely Trek To Kashmir's Peaks
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Life Is Not Rocket Science: Abdul Kalam Finally Tells His Story
- JDS Leader HD Kumaraswmay Attacks Congress
- SP Leader Mulayam Singh Yadav Tests COVID Positive
- Shotgun's Actor-Son Luv Sinha To Contest From Patna On Cong Ticket
- We Are Looking At Various Promotions To Attract Viewers: Sanjeev Bijli Of PVR
- Tributes Pour In For People’s President APJ Abdul Kalam On His 89th Birth Anniversary
- Nortje Bowls Fastest Delivery In IPL
- Kagiso Rabada Reserves Special Praise For Debutant Tushar Deshpande