Dubbing the draft recommendations of a parliamentary committee on Lokpal Bill a "mere formality", Uttarakhand Chief Minister B C Khanduri today said such an ombudsman cannot curb corruption.
"It's too premature to speak on it (the Lokpal Bill under consideration of the Parliamentary Committee). But the way they are talking, it seems to be a mere formality...It is not correct. What's the use of having a mere formality on the issue of Lokpal as it will have no control over corruption," he told reporters here.
Khanduri said his state has made an effort to set up a Lokayukta institution which is above administrative and financial "pressures" to deal with corruption.
The Uttarakhand legislation, on the lines of the Jan Lokpal Bill prepared by Team Anna, will cover ministers, including the chief minister and government servants including IAS and IPS officers, besides the lower judiciary.
The bill provides for minimum punishment of six months and the maximum of life imprisonment. It will also have former chief ministers, ministers and retired officers under its purview but leaves Uttarakhand High Court judges out of it.
The Lokayukta will consist of a chairperson and five members with a scope of increasing the number to seven as per the requirement.
Govt Lokpal Bill a 'Mere Formality': Khanduri
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Arun Jaitley, Former Union Minister And Senior BJP Leader, Dies At 66
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Arun Jaitley
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- PV Sindhu Progresses To Final At Badminton Worlds
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Final: Joseph-Inspired Gokulam Stun Bagan To Lift Trophy
- Why Is Part Of The Amazon Burning?
- PM Modi Defends Article 370 Move In UAE, Says It Ends 'Isolation' Of J&K Which Was Radicalising Youths