The Government today defended the decision to issue visa to Pakistani cricketer Javed Miandad saying he was not on India's "negative list".
"He is a well known cricketer. His visa application papers were in order and valid and that is why the government has decided to give him visa," Minister of State for Home R P N Singh told reporters here.
When asked if Miandad was not on India's "negative list", Singh said "no, nothing like that". "He was given visa when his visa papers were found valid," he said.
The government's decision has been criticised by the opposition BJP and Shiv Sena which cited Miandad's family ties with fugitive underworld don Dawood Ibrahim.
Miandad's son Junaid is married to Mahrukh, the daughter of Dawood, who is wanted in India in connection with the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts case.
Due to Miandad's family ties with Dawood, India's most wanted terrorist, there had been reports before a series in 2005 that any requests for a visa by the batting great could be turned down by the Indian government.
When asked about his reaction, External Affairs Salman Khurshid said "It's a decision that has been taken by the Home Ministry. And I am sure they would have taken inputs from all concerned agencies and from our mission in Pakistan. I am sure they would have followed all procedures."
Former Pakistan captain Miandad has been granted an Indian visa that will allow him to watch the final one-dayer of the ongoing limited-over cricket series between the two countries in New Delhi on January 6.
Govt Defends Decision to Issue Visa to Javed Miandad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'Broad Daylight Murder Of Law, Democracy': Cong Lashes Out At Govt Over Chidambaram's Arrest
- With P. Chidambaram's Arrest, His Anticipatory Bail Plea Before SC Rendered Infructuous
- Never Met Peter Or Indrani Mukerjea, We Are Being Targeted: Karti Chidambaram
- Ravidas Temple Demolition Protest: Bhim Army Chief Chandrashekhar Azad Arrested In Delhi
- INX Media Case: 20 Questions CBI Asked P Chidambaram
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- Etawah 'Ragging' Case: Police, VC Deny Medical Students Were Forced To Shave Heads
- March To Delhi Temple Demolition Site Was 'Personal Decision': Dalit Body
- NDA Candidate Against Rahul Gandhi In Wayanad Arrested In UAE
- MNS Chief Raj Thackeray Appears Before ED Today In IL&FS Money Laundering Case
- Oppn Protests At Jantar Mantar, Demands Release Of Detained J&K Leaders
- Kohli Hints At Four-Bowler Strategy Vs WI
- Live, 1st Test, Day 1: SL Win Toss, Opt To Bat First Vs NZ