Mamata Banerjee's journey from being a firebrand politician leading up to the chief minister's chair will be captured on celluloid by filmmaker Goutam Ghose.
Apart from chronicling the extraordinary tale of a simple middle class girl with a burning political ambition who unseated the 34-year-old Left Front government almost single-handedly, the documentary would stress on the humane side of her personality, Ghose said.
"I will try to delve into the humane self of Mamata, the way she interacts with the masses, the way she conducts herself in the elite business circles and the way she pursues her interests at home like painting or Rabindrasangeet," Ghose told PTI here today.
"Remember how she was derided once by the urban class who made fun of her English accent, her sartorial tastes and earthy image at cocktail circuits. I was very shocked at this and tried to protest. But now see how everybody is lapping up her every word," he added.
Ghose said he would discuss with Mamata how to film her life once things settle down after the swearing-in which would also feature in the documentary.
He said he was told by the legendary Bengali poet, late Subhas Mukhopadhyay, once a Left sympathizer, during a chat that the 'girl' had sincerity and a dream and was destined to rise.
The poet described her as 'Banglar Agnikanya' (Bengal's firebrand daughter).
Ghosh said he would take up the project amidst other pending projects.
Referring to his documentary on late Marxist patriarch Jyoti Basu, Ghose said, "I think that was also part of my endeavour to capture an important phase of our country's political history of which Jyotibabu was an integral part".
"Not all he said about his party was very praiseworthy in tone and I do not know why I did not get the chance to have a public screening of the documentary at that time."
"The same Bengali channel, which has asked me to do a documentary on Mamata, telecast the Basu documentary in full after his death and helped me reach the public."
About some footage on Mamata already shown on the same channel, Ghosh dubbed it as a "curtain-raiser" which has been compiled by the channel's own creative team with Ghose only overseeing as an adviser.
"But the full documentary on Mamata will be my own work," he clarified.
Goutam Ghose to Make Documentary on 'Didi'
THE LATEST ISSUE
- She, The Dalit: Red Earth And The Sky A Dalit Blue
- MI Vs DC: Mumbai Go Top With 5-wicket Win Over Delhi
- 'I am Immune' From Coronavirus, Ready For Campaign Trail: Donald trump
- Will Go After Media, Fans Spreading Rumours, Says Rhea's Lawyer
- 100 Per Cent Victory For BJP In Bengal Polls: Kailash Vijayvargia
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- French Open Final: Nadal Thrashes Djokovic, Ties Federer's Slam Record
- Hathras Case: Victim's Family Members To Appear Before HC On Monday
- IPL 2020: Parag, Tewatia Star In RR's Thrilling Win Over SRH
- Meet 18-year-Old Girl Who Became British High Commissioner For A Day
- PM Modi Launches Swamitva Scheme, Will Distribute Property Cards
- Gone In 60 Seconds: A Lamborghini In Himachal
- COVID Claims Delhi Ambulance Driver Who Ferried 200 Bodies Of Virus Victims
- Jammu And Kashmir Seeks Bengal’s Help To End Dry Tourist Season