A current Goldman Sachs managing director used to exchange daily morning emails with now jailed Galleon founder Raj Rajaratnam about "tiddie biddies" at top technology companies like Apple and Intel, a media report said suggesting their ties were closer than previously known.
David Loeb sent emails to Rajaratnam ahead of a daily "morning meeting" at Galleon, according to previously undisclosed emails and wiretapped phone call transcripts, which were entered as court records in the trial of former Goldman director Rajat Gupta, the Wall Street Journal said.
Last week 63-year-old Gupta was found guilty by a jury of passing confidential boardroom information to Rajaratnam.
Gupta's defence had stressed during the trial he had never done any insider trading and the hedge fund founder had other sources at Goldman and other companies who gave him inside information.
Gupta's lawyers had even hoped to show jurors the emails and transcripts, saying they indicated that Rajaratnam's source within Goldman wasn't Gupta but someone else.
But judge Jed Rakoff did not allow Gupta's lawyers from sharing the email and transcripts with jurors.
In the emails, Loeb offered "tiddie biddies" to Rajaratnam about firms like Apple and Intel and often addressed him with nicknames like "Dr RR" and "big daddy".
He used to sign off his emails with letters 'CBF', which colleagues have said stands for "chunky but funky."
Loeb was a senior salesman at Goldman at the time of email exchange and is one of three current Goldman employees that federal prosecutors and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are investigating.
Loeb has not yet been charged with any wrongdoing. The closeness of the ties between Loeb and Rajaratnam, as seen through the communications, sheds new light on their relationship, the report said.
'Goldman MD Sent Mails to Rajaratnam'
Yoshita Singh/New York
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Blame It On COVID-19: Of Bad Dreams And A Feeling Of Guilt And Anxiety
- Coronavirus Live Updates: 40 Deaths, 1035 Cases In 24 Hours In India, 7447 Cases So Far
- Seeking To Go Home Amid Lockdown, Migrant Workers Torch Vehicles In Surat
- Karnataka BJP Leader Throws Mega Birthday Party Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Delegating Specialized Clinical Work To ‘Technically Qualified’ Is Terrible Idea
- Chronology Is Clear: MPLADS Abolition Leaves MPs At The Mercy Of Centre
- Bollywood Needs A New Ecosystem To Bring Its Economy Back On Track After Corona
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- 'COVID-19 Lockdown Is Not Same As Past Shutdowns': Kashmiri Doctors
- As Some Blood Banks Run Dry, Thalassemia Patients Fear For Lives
- Thief Coughs In Court, Tests COVID-19+ve. Judge, 7 Policemen In Quarantine
- Pakistan Violates Ceasfire In J&K's Kupwara District; India Retaliates
- Apple, Google Team Up On Covid-19 Contact Tracing By Smartphone
- 'Lockdown Should Have Flattened The Coronavirus Curve, It Hasn't'
- Liverpool Legend Kenny Dalglish Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- '50 Calendar Options' But Tennis May Be Last To Resume – ATP Chief