Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today said he has appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for conferring the country's highest civilian award Bharat Ratna posthumously on legendary singer Bhupen Hazarika.
"I have written to the Prime Minister and received an acknowledgement stating that the matter is under consideration," Gogoi told reporters at the residence of Hazarika.
Gogoi criticised BJP leader Sushma Swaraj for politicising the award issue at this moment of grief.
"She (Swaraj) had said her party would support the state government in its effort to get the award, but I feel she should not have said it now," the chief minister said.
"Today is the day of his cremation and someone should not politicise the issue. This is not the time to talk about such matters," he said.
Swaraj was among the dignitaries who attended the cremation of Hazarika in Jalukbari earlier in the day.
Gogoi Appeals to PM for Bharat Ratna to Hazarika
THE LATEST ISSUE
- What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly