Legendary West Indian batsman Brian Lara, dashing Australian wicketkeeper batsman Adam Gilchrist are among overseas players who have been put in the top bracket base price for the upcoming auctions of the fourth edition of Indian Premier League.
As per information received, Mitchell Johnson, Michael Clarke and Ricky Ponting's name doesn't figure in the list that the IPL governing council has sent to the franchisees.
Around 400 foreign players have expressed their willingness to be a part of the cricketing extravaganza. They have been classified in six brackets ranging from USD 20,000 to USD 400,000.
The Australians have only three players --- top scorer in IPL-I Shaun Marsh, Gilchrist, the captain of second edition champions Deccan Chargers and speed merchant Brett Lee in the top bracket base price. The Hussey brothers Mike and David are in the second base price bracket of USD 300,000 while T20 and ODI specialist David Warner is in the third bracket with a base price of USD 200,000.
However, it was surprising that West Indian legend Lara, who has last played a ODI back in 2007, has been classified in the top bracket.
"Brian Lara is a big brand name. Also the fact, he may not have been too comfortable being bracketed in a lower base price category," an IPL source told PTI today.
Chris Gayle is the only other West Indies player in the top bracket.
Defending World T20 champions England have six players Stuart Broad, James Anderson, Kevin Pietersen, Graeme Swann, Luke Wright and Michael Yardy in top bracket. New Zealand have their skipper Daniel Vettori, deputy Ross Taylor and wicketkeeper batsman Brendon McCullum in the top rung.
Sri Lankan captain Kumar Sangakkara is however missing from the elite group as only two Sri Lankans Mahela Jayawardene and TM Dilshan have found place. South African captain Graeme Smith and AB de Villiers are in the top brtacket too.
There are no Bangaldeshis in the Elite group as Shakib Al-Hasan is the player with highest base price of USD 200,000. Mohammed Ashraful and Tamim Iqbal have base prices of USD 50,000 and 100,000 respectively.
Top Bracket Base Price (USD 400,000)
Australia: Adam Gilchrist, Shaun Marsh, Brett Lee
England: Kevin Pietersen, James Anderson, Graeme Swann, Stuart Broad, Luke Wright, Michael Yardy
Sri Lanka: TM Dilshan, Mahela Jayawardene
West Indies: Chris Gayle, Brian Lara
New Zealand: Daniel Vettori, Ross Taylor, Brendon McCullum
Gilchrist, Lara in IPL Auctions' Top Bracket
Kushan Sarkar/New Delhi
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Indra Gupta, The Sarkari Doctor Aspiring To Keep Jaipur In The Pink Of Health
- Stay Wherever You Are To Stop Coronavirus From Spreading: PM's Message To Country
- 'Don't Panic,' Sonia Gandhi Tells People, Suggests PM Annouce Sector-Wise Relief Package
- The Viral Learning Curve: Universities And Classes In The Time Of Corona
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise To 283; Amid Fear, Country To Observe 'Janata Curfew' Tomorrow
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Vasundhara Raje, Who Attended Party With Kanika Kapoor, Tests Negative For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: UP Govt To Give Rs 1,000 To Daily Wage Labourers, Construction Workers
- MP: 22 Rebel Congress MLAs Join BJP; Scindia Says Everyone Will Get Tickets
- Clapping Won't Help, Country Needs Economic Package: Rahul's Jibe At PM Modi
- Some To Protest From Balconies Against NRC, CAA During Janta Curfew
- Coronavirus: SC Lawyer Bodies Appeal To CJI To Declare Holidays For 2-4 Weeks
- Mary Kom Breaks Quarantine Protocol Amid Coronavirus Scare
- Coronavirus Grows, As Do Questions: Will The Tokyo Olympics Open?