Pakistan Premier Yousuf Raza Gilani today said that his upcoming meeting with his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh on the sidelines of NAM summit in Egypt would be an opportunity to strengthen bilateral ties.
Pakistan wants to maintain friendly relations with all its neighbours, including India and Afghanistan, Gilani told reporters after presiding over a convocation at a college here.
He expressed hope that the outcome of his meeting with Singh on the margins of the July 11-16 Non-Aligned Movement meet in Sharm El-Sheikh would be "positive."
The meeting with Singh would be an opportunity to strengthen relations between the two countries, he said.
Asked about the operations against the Taliban in the northwestern Malakand division, Gilani said the success achieved in securing areas from terrorists was a result of the sacrifices made by the army.
After the completion of the operations, a military cantonment will be established in Swat and the capacity of law enforcement agencies will be enhanced, he said.
Asked to confirm reports regarding Taliban commander Maulana Fazlullah being injured in the operations, Gilani said Interior Minister Rehman Malik could issue statements on such matters.
In response to another question about the possible influx of the Taliban into Pakistan in the wake of US forces launching an operation in Afghanistan's Helmand province, he said the government would take all possible measures not to let anyone destabilise the country.
Gilani Hopes Meeting With Singh in Egypt Will be 'Positive'
Rezaul H Laskar,Islamabad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Cong Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Bihar: Corpses Of Suspected Covid-19 Victims Found Floating In Ganga River
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Users Who Don’t Accept New Privacy Terms Won’t Be Able To Receive Calls: WhatsApp
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Beed: Govt To Probe Discrepancy In Covid Deaths As Funerals Rise
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine