Residents of Gharota, where Dev Anand spent his childhood along with family before shifting to Lahore, are sad that their decades-long yearning to see him on the village soil will remain unfulfilled.
The family had shifted to Lahore in pre-partition days and later after the country's division, the family settled in Mumbai.
"We did not see him all these years as he never visited us ever since they shifted to Lahore and then to Mumbai. Now our desire to see him among us in his native village will never be realised," said Sanjeev Kumar (35), resident of the village and an ardent admirer of Dev Anand.
Elders in the village have hazy memories of how Dev Anand went to complete his college studies in Lahore after his elder brother Chetan Anand shifted to that city and how his father Kishori Mal Anand, a well-to-do lawyer practiced in Gurdaspur district court before partition and visited the village during vacations.
Rajiv Mahajan, a resident of the village said when the family left the village in 1946, they gave power of attorney of their ancestral house to one of his aunts settled in Pathankot, who further sold the house to one Satpal Mahajan who demolished the old structure to build a new house.
Neither Dev Anand, nor any of his brother Chetan or Vijay Anand visited the village, lamented a village elder.
Sham Singh, resident of neighbouring Chauhan village, said the mannerisms of the evergreen hero were still imitated by the youth of the district.
"His death is unfortunate and our life time wish to see him in Gharota have been dashed. It is unfortunate that he got so busy in his film career that he could not find time to visit his native place," Sham rued.
Sanjeev said residents of Gharota were in a mood to celebrate today after Punjab government's announcement that Gharota has been made a block of Pathankot district but after news of the actor's death, they changed their plans.
"Both the young and old loved Dev Saheb. The young still loved his inimitable hairstyle and his mannerism on screen", said Sanjeev.
Gharota's Wish to See Village Boy Dev Anand Unfulfilled
THE LATEST ISSUE
- All Domestic Flights Suspended From Wednesday To Contain Coronavirus Spread
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Global Death Toll Crosses 15,000; Spain Reports 462 New Deaths in A Day
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan Likely To Take Oath As Madhya Pradesh CM Today
- Loyalty Test: Time For Indian Businesses To Fund Fight Against Coronavirus
- Sensex Plummets 3,900 Pts, Ends Below 26,000; Nifty Inches Towards 7,500
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- SC To Hear Urgent Matters Over Video-Conference
- Vaccine Trials To Fight Coronavirus Offer Hope, Could Be Harbinger Of New Technology
- Coronavirus: Punjab Imposes Curfew To Enforce Total Lockdown
- AIIMS To Shut Down OPD From March 24 As Coronavirus Cases Surge
- Centre Asks States To Strictly Enforce Lockdown To Prevent COVID-19 Spread
- Fact Check: NASA Didn't Show COVID-19 Retreat In India Due To Clapping
- Coronavirus: Australia Pull Out Of 2020 Olympics
- COVID-19: Premier League, NBA, F1 – When Is Sport Aiming To Return?