Congress today dubbed as "vulgar display" of money in politics the garlanding of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati with currency notes.
"This is a vulgar display of money in politics. This is not good for any political party or a political leader," Congress spokesman Shakeel Ahmed said.
Ignoring all criticism, the BSP chief today got herself garlanded with currency notes said to be of the value of Rs 18 lakh.
The garland comprising notes of various denominations was put around her neck at a meeting of party leaders despite opposition outcry over her being presented a similar garland of value estimated between Rs 21 lakh and Rs 15 crore on Monday.
Ahmed said Indian tradition and political decorum do not permit such vulgar display of money and muscle power. "She is displaying both," he said.
AICC General Secretary in-charge of UP, Digvijay Singh said she is "no more a Dalit ke beti but Daulat ke beti (she is not the daughter of a Dalit, but daughter of wealth)."
He said Congress does not subscribe to this brazen display of wealth and will oppose this "terrible" corruption.
"Ask any person in UP how money has been collected. Mass collection of funds is perpetuated and institutionalised by the BSP government. I have not seen this kind of institutionalised corruption anywhere in the country," he said.
The Congress leader also alleged that Central funds are being misused and misutilised in Uttar Pradesh. "We will take the fight to the masses to expose Mayawati, who loves only wealth and not the downtrodden," he said.
Singh demanded that she should make public the property acquired in her and in her relatives' names.
Another Congress spokesman Jayanthi Natarajan said authorities should probe the source of funds to prepare the garlands.
Garlanding Maya with Notes, a Vulgar Show: Cong
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Mehbooba Mufti To Attend Meeting Of Gupkar Declaration Signatories
- DC Vs RR: Delhi Choke Rajasthan After Dhawan, Iyer Fifties
- SP Leader Mulayam Singh Yadav Tests COVID Positive
- Shotgun's Actor-Son Luv Sinha To Contest From Patna On Congress Ticket
- The Silence Of The Dalit Politician
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Nortje Bowls Fastest Delivery In IPL
- 'When We Return To Power, Will Put Back Sonia's Plaque At Tunnel'
- 15 Die As Heavy Rains Lash Hyderabad; People Asked To Stay Indoors
- Himachal Speaker Tests COVID-19 Positive
- We Are Looking At Various Promotions To Attract Viewers: Sanjeev Bijli Of PVR
- Apple Launches New iPhone 12 Series, To Be Shipped Without Adapters
- Old Law Machine Seeks A New Engine
- Kagiso Rabada Reserves Special Praise For Debutant Tushar Deshpande