His portrayal of Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad a few years ago was done in flawless Urdu and just recently theatre veteran Tom Alter lent his versatile voice to a reading of Mahatma Gandhi's letters to freedom fighter Sarojini Naidu.
Letters exchanged between Gandhi and Naidu from 1914 to 1948, formed the subject of the play staged here recently. The letters reveal events during India's struggle for independence as well as tell the tale of a deep probing relationship formed between the duo.
Danseuse Mrinalini Sarrabhai reads out Naidu's responses as well as letters and poems addressed to the Bapu.
"I make no attempt to imitate Gandhiji. Sarabhai and myself do not perform but read the letters out to each other. We have added many of our personal observations to the readings," Alter who was here recently for the play held at the Genesis Global School told PTI.
A brainchild of Mrinalini Sarabhai who helped edit a book of letters, The Mahatma and the Poetess, has been compiled by E S Reddy and published by Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. There has been over 25 readings of the selected letters over the last four years.
"The original idea was Mrinalini's. She approached me five years ago and we have been conducting readings ever since," says Alter who previously, in a solo play Maulana Azad, spoke chaste Urdu dialogues while essaying the role of the late leader.
Out of more than 300 letters, the 35 selected letters speak about a host of issues ranging from poetry, love, diet, illness, Nehru, British rule etc.
"This time we had school children giving their own ideas about the freedom struggle in between the readings. They recite among other things Jawahar Lal Nehru's tryst with destiny as well as a few of Nehru's favourite poems," says Alter.
Gandhi's Letters to Sarojini, Tom Alter Stages Reading
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Pandemic Live Updates: Delhi's Shaheen Bagh, Epicentre Of Anti-CAA Protest, Cleared As India Goes In Lockodown
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan Sworn In As Madhya Pradesh CM
- All Domestic Flights Suspended From Wed To Contain Coronavirus Spread
- Loyalty Test: Time For Indian Businesses To Fund Fight Against Coronavirus
- Curfew Passes To Be Necessary For Travel Between Delhi, Neighbouring Areas
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Sensex Plummets 3,900 Pts, Ends Below 26,000; Nifty Inches Towards 7,500
- Vaccine Trials To Fight Coronavirus Offer Hope, Could Be Harbinger Of New Technology
- Coronavirus: Curfew Imposed In Maharashtra From Midnight, Says Uddhav
- Coronavirus: Punjab Imposes Curfew To Enforce Total Lockdown
- AIIMS To Shut Down OPD From March 24 As Coronavirus Cases Surge
- ICMR Recommends Hydroxychloroquine For Healthcare Workers Tackling Covid-19 Patients
- Coronavirus: Postponement Of Tokyo Olympics Inevitable – IOC Official
- Health Insurance Policies For Cricketers, Officials Cover COVID-19 Too: CAB