A decision on fuel price hike would be taken at the Empowered Group of Ministers meeting slated to be held in New Delhi on June 7, Petroleum Minister Murli Deora said today.
The EGOM would meet under the chairmanship of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Deora told reporters after a meeting of the Parliamentary Consultative Committee here.
Deora said no concrete decisions were taken at the meeting which discussed various matters on the heavy losses incurred by the oil marketing companies.
"Some members suggested fuel price hike as the oil companies are making heavy losses. We would not like to increase the fuel price. But sometimes it is not possible as 80 per cent of oil imported is consumed," he said.
He said that MPs have also urged the government to provide some subsidy to the oil companies to cover the losses.
Oil Secretary S Sundareshan said, "If the price of oil, LPG and petrol does not go in tandem with crude, it is difficult to say at what price we require to increase the price (of fuel). But all that can be said is that at the (prevailing) prices we require to increase."
On the oil marketing firms facing huge losses, he said "last year (2009-2010) the extent of under recovery was to the order of Rs 46,000 crore of which Rs 14,200 crore was provided by upstream companies and Rs 26,000 crore by government as cash."
Asked about the gas pipeline connectivity for Tamil Nadu, Deora said the Kakinada-Chennai Pipeline connectivity and Chennai-Tuticorin Pipeline connectivity had been cleared by the Ministry and the work has started.
Similarly, work on Kochi-Mangalore Pipeline, which will also cover Coimbatore, Salem and Erode in Tamil Nadu and another Chennai-Bangalore Pipeline connectivity have also commenced. "We are fully confident that pipeline connectivity would be completed by 2012 end," he said.
Fuel Price Hike Decision to be Taken at EGOM in June
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'In BJP They Listen To What The Cadres Have To Say': Khusbhu Sundar
- Pushpam Priya Chaudhary: Taking On Bihar's Chanakyas
- NHRC Lists Sex Workers As Informal Workers; Significant Step, Say Activists
- The Curious Case Of Crude Oil Supply: Why Is The Price Shooting Up?
- Faltering CSK Up Against Resurrection Seeking SRH
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- COVID-19 Patients Experience Severe Symptoms During Reinfection: Study
- Maha CM, Governor Exchange Letters On The Meaning Of Secularism
- Hathras Case: Family Tells HC Victim Cremated Without Their Consent
- Nobel Prize in Economics: Going, Going, Gone
- IPL's Own Jugalbandi: ABD, Virat Striking Right Notes For RCB
- Hathras Case: CBI Team Visits Spot Of Dalit Girl's Gang-Rape
- Maybe We'd Have Scored 200 Goals! Wenger Regrets Not Signing Ronaldo
- Flipkart, Patanjali Issued Show-Cause Notice For Closure Over PWM Rules