Oil Minister Murli Deora today indicated there would be no rollback in fuel price hike and hit out at Opposition for "misleading" people on the impact of the rise.
"What is there to roll back. The increase was necessitated because of huge under-recoveries that the government and oil companies are bearing," he said when asked whether government would withdraw the hike following criticism by Opposition and the call for a nationwide stir on July 5.
Deora accused Opposition of misleading people on the issue.
"The BJP and Left which never agreed on other issues had curiously ganged up against price hike," he said after a meeting with top officials of various oil companies and government officials.
The minister, here to launch Indian Oil's Chennai- Bengaluru petroleum products pipeline and Rajiv Gandhi Gramin LPG Vitarak Yojana, wanted the Opposition to explain to people the reason for the hike instead of going ahead with the strike plan.
"Give us a chance, see how the policy is implemented first," he said, claiming the hike would not adversely impact prices except for some marginal impact.
"The increase translates to less than Re 1 a day on domestic LPG and 26-27 paisa a day on kerosene which is not a very huge rise," he said.
The government, he said, had borne a loss of over Rs one lakh crore for subsidising rates of diesel, LPG, Kerosene and petrol. Even after increasing the prices, the government would continue to bear losses.
Citing examples of neighbouring countries, he said the prices there were much higher in comparison to India, where kerosene prices were lowest in the world and LPG prices were among the lowest among countries importing the product.
Fuel Hike: Deora Hits Out at Oppn for 'Misleading' Public
THE LATEST ISSUE
- She, The Dalit: Conspiracy Of Silence And Selective Coverage Of Rapes
- Uproar After Sikh Man Allegedly Pushed, Turban Pulled
- RR Vs DC: Hetmyer Stars For Delhi In Big Win
- Religious Nationalism Would Challenge India’s Leadership Potential?
- We Have Learned To Appreciate Indigenous Foods In This Pandemic: Chef Sanjeev Kapoor
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Dhoni's Daughter Ziva Gets Rape Threats After CSK's Poor Performance
- Ramdas Athawale Only NDA Ally Left In Modi Government
- US Elections: Second Presidential Debate Is Officially Cancelled
- Five Best Korean Dramas You Can Binge Watch This Weekend
- Delhi's Connaught Place Will Get Smog Tower In 10 Months
- Bihar Polls: EC Announces List Of Star Campaigners
- India Reports 73,272 New COVID-19 Cases, 926 Deaths In Last 24 Hours
- ISL: East Bengal Appoint Liverpool Legend Robbie Fowler As Head Coach