Delhi gangrape accused Ram Singh may have committed suicide in "frustration" over the prospect of being jailed for life, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath said today.
"I think if such a thing has happened, then the Home Ministry or other agencies would hold an inquiry into it. But I don't think there is such a thing when he is in jail and he knew that he would be punished.
"People were demanding death sentence for him but he was to be sentenced for life and perhaps because of frustration he may have done something. This would be known after the inquiry," she said when asked to comment on Singh's lawyer's contention that his client was murdered in jail.
The Minister said it it would have been better if the law of the country had punished him.
"He has done one more crime as committing suicide is also a crime. But I think if he felt so guilty, it should send a message to others who indulge in such activities that such acts are not good and those who take women lightly, should change themselves," Tirath said.
Ram Singh allegedly committed suicide in a high-security cell in Tihar Jail early this morning.
Frustration May Have Driven Ram Singh to Suicide: Tirath
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Lockdown: 'Money Will Last 2-3 More Days. God Knows What Will Happen After That'
- How Coronavirus Pandemic Will Impact The Economy -- And You
- 'Leave Job Or Leave Lome,' An Ultimatum To A Coronavirus warrior
- Coronavirus Live Updates: India Cases Climb To 873; UP Govt Arranges Buses For Migrant Workers
- Why IND's Hockey Coach Reid Thinks COVID-19 A Blessing In Disguise
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- 'Sneeze, Spread Virus': Infosys Employee Sacked, Arrested For FB Post
- Hit By COVID-19 Lockdown, 90-yr-old Kajodi Trudges Home, 400 Km Away
- CONFIRMED! Athletes Qualified For 2020 Olympics Will Keep 2021 Spots
- 'Sit Back, Behave, Wash Hands And Be Proud Of Your Country': Trump Advises Kids In US
- 'Clear We Have Entered Recession': IMF Chief Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- Stuck in Bangladesh, Kashmiri Students Seek Evacuation Amid Covid-19 Fears
- Hundreds Of Pets Abandoned After WHO Hoardings Trigger Panic
- COVID-19: Ongoing Break A 'Welcome Rest' For Indian Cricketers: Shastri