Delhi gangrape accused Ram Singh may have committed suicide in "frustration" over the prospect of being jailed for life, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath said today.
"I think if such a thing has happened, then the Home Ministry or other agencies would hold an inquiry into it. But I don't think there is such a thing when he is in jail and he knew that he would be punished.
"People were demanding death sentence for him but he was to be sentenced for life and perhaps because of frustration he may have done something. This would be known after the inquiry," she said when asked to comment on Singh's lawyer's contention that his client was murdered in jail.
The Minister said it it would have been better if the law of the country had punished him.
"He has done one more crime as committing suicide is also a crime. But I think if he felt so guilty, it should send a message to others who indulge in such activities that such acts are not good and those who take women lightly, should change themselves," Tirath said.
Ram Singh allegedly committed suicide in a high-security cell in Tihar Jail early this morning.
Frustration May Have Driven Ram Singh to Suicide: Tirath
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Arun Jaitley, Former Union Minister And Senior BJP Leader, Dies At 66
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- 'What Is Modi Govt Trying To Hide?' Says Congress After Rahul Gandhi-Led Delegation Denied Entry In J&K
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Arun Jaitley
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- PV Sindhu Progresses To Final At Badminton Worlds
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Durand Final: Joseph-Inspired Gokulam Stun Bagan To Lift Trophy
- Why Is Part Of The Amazon Burning?
- PM Modi Defends Article 370 Move In UAE, Says It Ends 'Isolation' Of J&K Which Was Radicalising Youths