Colombo, Sep 30 (PTI) Sri Lankan police commandos killed at least 15 Tamil Tiger rebels today in the island's east while the guerrillas blew up three constables elsewhere in the embattled region.
Police Special Task Force (STF) commandos repulsed an attack against their Pullumalai base this morning and inflicted heavy losses on the guerrillas, an STF official said.
Bodies of 11 Tigers, along with 11 AK-47 assault rifles were recovered, he said adding that intercepts of rebel radio communication indicated they carried with them the bodies of four dead Tigers and two wounded.
Two STF commandos were wounded when mortar bomb shrapnel hit them, the official said.
In the northern district of Vavuniya, three constables were killed when their patrol was hit by a Claymore mine, police said.
The bloodshed continues amid renewed efforts by peace broker Norway to arrange peace talks early next month in Oslo between the Sri Lankan government and the Tamil Tigers.
Fresh violence in Sri Lanka kills 18
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- CJI To Consider Chidambaram's Case For Urgent Listing; ED Issues Lookout Notice
- US President Donald Trump Offers To Mediate Kashmir Issue Again, Says It's 'Complicated Place'
- 'Disgraceful Misuse Of Power': Rahul Gandhi Flays BJP Govt Over Action Against Chidambaram
- LeT Militant, Police Officer Killed In Encounter In Jammu And Kashmir's Baramulla
- India’s Largest Biscuit Manufacturer Parle Says It Could Slash 10,000 Jobs: Report
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- The Little Sleep I Get Is Filled With Nightmares About Home: Kashmiri Living In Delhi On J&K
- Chidambaram 'Hunted Down' For Speaking Truth Inconvenient To Cowards: Priyanka Gandhi
- '... Await The Mentioned Hearing': Chidambaram's Lawyer To CBI After Moving SC
- Relief Helicopter Crashes In Rain-Hit Uttarkashi
- Preview: WI Vs IND, 1st Test
- Former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Babulal Gaur Passes Away At 89
- MNS Activist Sets Himself Ablaze After ED Issues Notice To Party Chief Raj Thackeray
- Delhi HC Grants Robert Vadra Four Weeks To File Rejoinder In Money Laundering Case
- Preview: Ashes, 3rd Test, ENG Vs AUS