Colombo, Sep 30 (PTI) Sri Lankan police commandos killed at least 15 Tamil Tiger rebels today in the island's east while the guerrillas blew up three constables elsewhere in the embattled region.
Police Special Task Force (STF) commandos repulsed an attack against their Pullumalai base this morning and inflicted heavy losses on the guerrillas, an STF official said.
Bodies of 11 Tigers, along with 11 AK-47 assault rifles were recovered, he said adding that intercepts of rebel radio communication indicated they carried with them the bodies of four dead Tigers and two wounded.
Two STF commandos were wounded when mortar bomb shrapnel hit them, the official said.
In the northern district of Vavuniya, three constables were killed when their patrol was hit by a Claymore mine, police said.
The bloodshed continues amid renewed efforts by peace broker Norway to arrange peace talks early next month in Oslo between the Sri Lankan government and the Tamil Tigers.
Fresh violence in Sri Lanka kills 18
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- How Modi-Shah Arithmetic Proved Opposition Calculus Wrong
- Naresh Goyal Stopped From Leaving India, MHA Issues Lookout Notice
- 'Minorities Were Deceived By Those Who Practiced Vote Bank Politics, Have To Win Their Trust': Narendra Modi At NDA Meet
- 'Drama': BJP Mocks Mamata Banerjee For Offering To Quit CM Post
- ICC CWC 2019, Warm-Up: India Suffer Six-Wicket Defeat Against New Zealand
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- After Intel Reports On ISIS Boat, Kerala Coast On High Alert
- Over 700 People Homeless After Heavy Rain Lashes Tripura
- Removed From WhatsApp Group For Questioning Poll Performance: Lamba Slams Kejriwal
- Ex-village Head, Who Campaigned For Smriti Irani, Shot Dead In Amethi
- Impressed With PM's Glorious Win, Muslim Woman Names Newborn 'Narendra Modi'
- Anurag Kashyap Mentions Rape Threats To Daughter While Congratulating PM Modi
- MP Congress Worker Shaves Head After Losing Bet To BJP Worker
- Once A Decorated Striker, Bhaichung Bhutia Yet To Dribble Past Political Opponents And Score