Nearly 20 shops were today torched by mobs in old area of communal strife-hit Bareilly despite curfew being clamped in most of the city even as authorities rushed additional forces and a helicopter to rein in the spiralling violence.
Closure of all the educational institutes has been ordered and government has provided a helicopter to police for aerial monitoring in the trouble-hit areas, official sources said, adding curfew will not be relaxed till the situation normalises.
Defying curfew, members of a community torched around 20 shops in Qutubkhana sabzi mandi, one of the oldest markets in the city, this afternoon, police said, adding fire tenders were rushed to the sites.
Curfew has been clamped in five of the six police stations areas in the city.
"After large scale violence in which nearly 20 people, including an Superintendent of Police and some other policemen were injured, curfew has been extended in Subhsh Nagar police area. The situation is tense but under control," sources said.
Heavy force has been deployed across the city to avert further trouble.
"Fresh re-enforcement is being done in the trouble-hit areas of the city to control the situation," the sources said.
Nine officers including PAC commandant Jyoti Narain, four additional SPs and 4 DySPs had already airdashed to Bareilly.
Protesting against the release of cleric Maulana Tauqeer Raza Khan, arrested earlier on charges of inciting mob which led to communal clashes early this month, members of a community indulged in arson and brick batting in Sanjay Nagar and Subhash Nagar localties yesterday.
The rampaging mob defied curfew in four police station areas including Prem Nagar, Qila, Baradari and Kotwali.
In a bid to control the protesters, police used tear gas shells and fired rubber bullets.
Fresh Violence in Bareilly; 20 Shops Torched
THE LATEST ISSUE
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- The Saudi Crown Prince Reveals His Schizophrenia
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- 'You Can't Stop Thefts Till Thieves Repent': R. Ashwin On 'Mankading'
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- IAF Has Demonstrated Its Capability To Engage With The Adversary: IAF Chief
- Bihar Elections: Former DGP Gupteshwar Pandey Left Ticketless
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- China Will Pay A Big Price For Spreading Covid-19 Globally: Trump
- I Am Still A Student Of Cinema: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- Tablighi Case: Freedom Of Speech Most Abused, Says SC
- India’s GDP Expected To Contract By 9.6 Percent This Fiscal: World Bank
- Ind Vs Aus 2020-21: Cricket Series To Start With ODIs In Brisbane From Nov 25