Veteran freedom fighter and member of the first Orissa Legislative Assembly (OLA) Baishnab Charan Patnaik passed away here today, family sources said.
He was 99 and survived by two sons and a daughter.
A revolutionary from his student life, Patnaik (99) was elected to the first assembly in 1952 and as a congress candidate represented Dhenkanal constituency in the 3rd Lok Sabha in 1962.
The nonagenarian leader was imprisoned several times during freedom movement and injured after being shot at while leading a movement to capture Parjang police station in 1942 during Quit India Movement.
Braving the British force, Patnaik in 1938 had carried the body of slain freedom fighter Baji Rout and six others, who were shot dead for defying the British diktat, to the Khannagar crematorium for performance of their last rites.
In 1947, he took leadership of Prajamandal Workers in Nilagiri and was actively associated with Sardar Ballav Bhai Patel in the Merger of Princely States.
After being arrested at Athagarh in March 1948, Patnaik was incarcerated in Cuttack jail for four years.
Patnaik was conferred with the highest Kapilas Samman in 2005 by the Dhenkanal district administration and honorary doctorate by the Revenshaw University, Cuttack in 2012.
Freedom Fighter Baishnab Charan Patnaik Dead at 99
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Dalit Woman President Made To Sit On Floor During Official Meetings
- RCB Choke CSK After Kohli's Unbeaten 90
- CBI Takes Over Investigation Into Hathras Gang-Rape Case
- '100 Per Cent Victory For BJP In Bengal Polls': Kailash Vijayvargia
- She, The Dalit: Conspiracy Of Silence And Selective Coverage Of Rapes
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- French Open Final: Teen Swiatek Thrashes Kenin To Create History
- ‘My Petition Against Hate Speech Will Have A Wider Impact’: Brinda Karat
- Left With 2 Days' Coal, Punjab Stares At Severe Power Outages
- Rajasthan: Priest's Family Ends Protest, Performs Last Rites
- Stubble Burning, Pollution, And Politics
- Office Of Odisha BJP MP Sealed After Birthday Bash
- North Korea Unveils New Ballistic Missile, Weapons At Military Parade
- ‘Time To Accept That Talks With China Won’t Help’: US NSA On Ladakh