Tiruvallur (TN), Sep 17 (PTI) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi today launched the free land distribution scheme for the landless poor, one of the most populist promises of the DMK in the last assembly polls and one considered to be a major reason for the AIADMK's defeat by political observers.
"I consider this the biggest achievement in my life," the octogenarian Chief Minister told a massive meeting in this town, where he distributed title deeds to over 1,000 farmers.
"In five years, my government will distribute the same extent of land to the landless poor as the Left Front government in West Bengal did in 10 years," he said.
The scheme was an "ongoing" one and as much land as available would be distributed to the landless poor, he said.
Soon after Karunanidhi launched the scheme here, ministers distributed land title deeds to landless famers at other places in the state.
The launch also coincided with the 127th birth anniversary of social reformer 'Periyar' E V Ramasamy, which is being celebrated all over the state.
About 25,000 farmers were given 26,321 acres of land all over the state today.
Free land distribution scheme launched in Tamil Nadu
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- India Sees Slight Dip In Covid Daily Count: Records 3,66,161 New Cases And 3,754 Deaths
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Over As Assam Chief Minister Today
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly