Four of the six victims killed in the tragic shooting incident at an American Gurudwara are Indian nationals, one of them being a recent visitor from India.
The worshippers who fell victim to the former soldier's bullets were Sita Singh (male, 41), Ranjeet Singh (male, 49), Satwant Singh Kaleka (male, 62), Prakash Singh (male, 39), Paramjeet Kaur (female, 41) and Shobaik Singh (male, 84).
The Indian Embassy disclosed the names of those killed in the shooting, and said four of them were Indian nationals but did not confirm who among them were Indians.
Two senior Indian officials - Datta Padsalgikar, who is Minister for Community Affairs in the Indian Embassy in Washington along with Consul N J Gangte from the Indian Consulate in Chicago, visited the site of the incident today, and interacted with local officials, FBI and community representatives, an Embassy spokesman said.
Earlier in the day, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, called the Indian Ambassador to the US, Nirupama Rao, who assured him that the Embassy would offer all possible support to victims of the Oak Creek killings.
"Our hearts go out to the victims, their families, and the Sikh community. This is a tragic incident, especially since it happened in a place of worship. Religious freedom and religious tolerance are fundamental pillars of US society," State Department spokesman, Patrick Ventrell, told reporters at his daily news conference.
In another statement, the Indian National Overseas Congress (INOC-USA) "strongly condemned" this dastardly act in Wisconsin.
"The violence at the Sikh Gurudwara in Oak Creek is absolutely deplorable and it has no place in a civilised society such as ours," said George Abraham, INOC president.
Four of Six Wisconsin Shooting Victims Indians
Lalit K Jha/Washington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep La Liga Title In Real Madrid's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly