Pakistan's former foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi is likely to quit ruling-Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and join hands with opposition PML-N led by ex-premier Nawaz Sharif.
In a changing political scenario, the PML-N has stepped up efforts to woo disgruntled elements within the PPP including those who differ with President Asif Ali Zardari's decision to forge an alliance with the PML-Q.
Qureshi has conveyed to Sharif that he will soon announce his decision to join his party as there is no veracity in reports that he would join cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan's party, PML-N sources told PTI.
Qureshi reportedly said he could not work under a "junior" leader like Khan.
Similarly, several other PPP senior leaders of the Gujrat area of Punjab are being wooed by the PML-N due to their annoyance with the PPP leadership over its alliance with the PML-Q.
Defence Minister Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar, PPP spokesman Qamar Zaman Kaira and Sahibzada Gazanfar Gull of Gujrat are not happy with the leadership for their alliance with the PML-Q.
The PML-N has also renewed contacts with the Jamaat-e-Islami for an alliance for future elections and does not want the Jamaat to join hands with Imran's Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf as this may damage the PML-N's vote banks and help the PPP.
Former Pak Foreign Minister Likely to Join Opposition
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Rahul Gandhi Signs Off As Congress President With Veiled Critique Of Party Peers
- 'Every Living Cell In My Body Resists BJP's Idea Of India,' Says Rahul Gandhi
- Virat Kohli Stares At Suspension After Another Furious Argument With Umpires
- World Cup: Bairstow, Wood Shine As England Crush New Zealand, Seal Semis Spot
- 23 Feared Dead, 11 Bodies Recovered After Tiware Dam Breach In Maharashtra's Ratnagiri
- Let Not 'Jai Shri Ram' Be Misused As 'Allahu Akbar'
- Trump's America Is Once Again Locking Horns With Iran. What Should India Do?
- Do Driving And Education Have A Connection?
- Ola, Ole! How's The Patient Doing?
- Salman Khan’s Fears Misplaced, No Reviewer Can Make Or Mar A Film Destined For Greatness
- With No Malls, No App-Based Economy, Kashmir Stuck At Where It Was 2 Decades Ago
- Wholly Consumed By Frustration, Rayudu May Have Had Cricket Left In Him
- 'Brand New Drama Of Congress Party': BJP Leaders On Rahul Gandhi's Resignation
- Rahul Gandhi Changes His Twitter Bio, No Longer President Of Congress Now
- After PM Modi's Criticism, BJP Leader Says Akash Vijayvargiya Wasn't Welcomed On Release
- SC Imposes Rs 100 Cr Fine On Meghalaya Govt For Failing To Curb Illegal Coal Mining
- CBI Court Acquits Mau MLA Mukhtar Ansari In 2005 Murder Case of BJP Leader Krishnanand Rai
- Will PAK Qualify For Semis If They Score 1000 Runs! READ Hilarious Comments
- 'Brand New Drama Of Congress Party': BJP Leaders On Rahul Gandhi's Resignation As President