The Food Security Bill needed to be amended to make universal public distribution system with well defined exclusion criteria the pathway to end poverty induced hunger, eminent agriculture scientist Dr M S Swaminanthan said today.
Though having commendable provisions such as a life style approach to food security starting with conception and extending upto old and infirm persons, the bill unfortunately had no role for Gram Sabhas and local bodies in achieving social protection measures, he told reporters here.
He said women were treated as heads of households for the purpose of the food entitlement in the Bill, which has also an enlarged food basket including nutri-cereals like ragi, barja, maize, for distribution under the PDS.
On Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar expressing apprehensions about implementation of food security in view of huge subsidy and expenditure, he said it not only agriculture but various other ministries like rural development, water resources and energy which together could muster huge allocations.
Moreover, Food Security was envisaged for a certain section the people and not the entire population as it focused on three main aspects of availability, access and absorption of food, Swaminathan said.
When asked whether the country could afford to produce required foodgrains, as suggested by him, due to dwindling agriculture lands, he said India had tapped only 50 per cent of its production reservoir. It could produce 500 million tonnes of food grains in the next 20 years to meet the increasing population.
For this, both the Centre and state government should come out with Land Use Policy and Land Acquisition policies. Otherwise, prime agriculture land would be converted as real estates, he said.
A strong bill would exert pressure on government to produce more and procure more, he said.
Food Security Bill Needs Amendments: Swaminathan
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly