The Food Security Bill needed to be amended to make universal public distribution system with well defined exclusion criteria the pathway to end poverty induced hunger, eminent agriculture scientist Dr M S Swaminanthan said today.
Though having commendable provisions such as a life style approach to food security starting with conception and extending upto old and infirm persons, the bill unfortunately had no role for Gram Sabhas and local bodies in achieving social protection measures, he told reporters here.
He said women were treated as heads of households for the purpose of the food entitlement in the Bill, which has also an enlarged food basket including nutri-cereals like ragi, barja, maize, for distribution under the PDS.
On Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar expressing apprehensions about implementation of food security in view of huge subsidy and expenditure, he said it not only agriculture but various other ministries like rural development, water resources and energy which together could muster huge allocations.
Moreover, Food Security was envisaged for a certain section the people and not the entire population as it focused on three main aspects of availability, access and absorption of food, Swaminathan said.
When asked whether the country could afford to produce required foodgrains, as suggested by him, due to dwindling agriculture lands, he said India had tapped only 50 per cent of its production reservoir. It could produce 500 million tonnes of food grains in the next 20 years to meet the increasing population.
For this, both the Centre and state government should come out with Land Use Policy and Land Acquisition policies. Otherwise, prime agriculture land would be converted as real estates, he said.
A strong bill would exert pressure on government to produce more and procure more, he said.
Food Security Bill Needs Amendments: Swaminathan
THE LATEST ISSUE
- In Absence Of Ailing Paswan, Son Chirag Left To Fight His Own Battle In Bihar Polls
- RCB Vs DC LIVE: Udana Gets Dhawan; Delhi 88/2 (11)
- JEE Advanced Cut Off Lowest In Recent Years, Here’s Why?
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Say Medical Experts
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Smriti Irani Calls Rahul Gandhi A 'VIP Kisan'
- 2 CRPF Personnel Killed In Terrorist Attack In Kashmir’s Pampore
- Trio Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Discovery Of Hepatitis C Virus
- Delhi Riots: Umar Khalid Sent To 14 Days Judicial Custody
- AIIMS Report A 'Slap' On Those 'Defaming' Maharashtra: Minister
- Scientists Say ‘Feluda’ Test Could Help India Battle COVID-19
- Amit Mishra's Season Ends
- Cavani To Man Utd, Depay To Barca: Possible Transfer Deadline Day Deals