BJP leader B C Khanduri today criticised Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for downplaying the issue of Chinese incursion into Indian territory and warned that any flippancy in this regard may lead to a 1962 like situation along the country's borders.
"Chinese troops have moved 19 km into Indian territory and the Prime Minister says it is a localised problem and not that of incursion. This approach does not augur well for the country," Khanduri, a retired Major General himself, said.
Recalling how the then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru overlooked Chinese infrastructure and military build-up in Tibet close to India's borders prior to 1962 Sino-India war, the former chief minister said making light of incursion by Chinese troops into such a large chunk of Indian territory this time might lead to a similar situation again and prove costly for the nation.
"China had begun constructing airstrips, helipads and roads in Tibet close to the Indian borders much before the 1962 war broke out but the then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru ignored all that.
"We were finally attacked by China and defeated and the country had to face international embarrassment," the former Union minister said and asked the Prime Minister to handle the latest incursion by Chinese troops with all the seriousness it deserves.
He said any flippancy on part of the government in this regard will dent the morale of the Indian forces and aggravate the situation along the borders.
'Flippancy Over Chinese Incursion May Prove Costly'
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Bizarre Ways Of Sanitising Migrants: Spraying Bleach, Sleeping On Banyan Trees!
- Too Early To Pat Ourselves On Back. Prepared For Any Eventuality: Odisha's COVID-19 Point Person
- Lockdown To End On April 15, Ensure There's No Crowding: Yogi Adityanath
- 'While Amethi MP Plays Antakshari...': Congress Takes Dig At Smriti Irani; She Hits Back
- How Drop In Crude Oil Price Due To Coronavirus Pandemic Benefits India
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Suspected Coronavirus Patient Attempts Suicide At Delhi Hospital
- Trump Asks Modi To Release Medicine For Covid-19 Treatment
- 6 Areas In Kanpur, Visited By Covid-19+ Tablighi Members, Declared 'Red Zones'
- ICMR Calls For Rapid Antibody Tests At Covid-19 Hotspots
- 'Hang My Head In Shame': Poet Rahat Indori On Attack On Doctors In Indore
- Lockdown: Cancer Train’s Suspension Agonises Patients In Punjab
- Coronavirus: Spain Considers Domestic Tennis Tour That Could Star Nadal
- Yuvraj Singh Compares Rohit Sharma To Inzamam-Ul-Haq