Pointing to the "widespread fiscal indiscipline" in implementing the mid-day meal scheme, the Public Accounts Committee has asked the HRD Ministry to fix responsibility and take measures to "obviate" such instances.
Diversion of funds and foodgains have been confirmed in Kerala, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Nagaland and Bihar, the Committee said adding "lapses noticed is indicative of the widespread fiscal indiscipline in implementing the scheme".
The committee feels that institutional apathy and lack of concerted efforts should not be allowed to creep in in implementing such an important social welfare scheme of national coverage, it said in its report presented in the Lok Sabha today.
Deploring the failure of the above states, the Committee, with Murli Manohar Joshi as its chairman, said though the HRD Ministry has asked these states to take action to recoup the cost of diverted funds, "no concrete action has been taken as yet".
It said though the HRD Ministry has taken certain basic measures to remove huge pendency in construction of kitchen shed and stores under the scheme, "providing hygienic mid-day meals still remains an unsurpassed challenge".
Fiscal Indiscipline in Midday Meal Implementation: PAC
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Calcutta HC To Review No-Go Orders For Puja Pandals Today
- KXIP Vs DC: Hooda Takes Punjab Home After Pooran Fifty
- Will Rahul, Priyanka Join Bypoll Campaign? Don’t Hold Your Breath
- Ahead Of Polls, Bengal Braces For Bloodbath
- Health Minister Hails Outlook Poshan Campaign
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- My Heart Keeps Reaching New Limits, Confesses KL Rahul
- PM Modi's Address To The Nation: Lockdown Is Over But Virus Is Not Gone
- DDLJ Turns 25: 10 Ways In Which The Iconic Film Changed Bollywood Forever
- Bihar Elections: Will Chirag Paswan's Gamble Of Going It Alone Pay Off?
- Massive Festive Sales Brings Hope And Cheer To E-Tailers
- Parents Fume Over Govt Decision To Open Schools Partially
- 6 Arrested From Kangra, Shimla Over Bus Conductors’ Recruitment Scam
- Morata Gets Pirlo Off To Winning Start In Champions League