An FIR has been registered against Sony entertainment channel, actor Shekhar Suman, comedian Bharti Singh and a scriptwriter, for allegedly hurting religious sentiments by insulting Quranic verse in a comedy show aired by the channel, police said today.
According to police, a representative from Raza Academy, a Muslims body, approached them and lodged a complaint against the four alleging that a joke was cracked in the show 'Comedy Circus' that was insulting towards the religion and was intolerable.
The FIR under IPC sections 295 (injuring or defiling place of worship with intent to insult the religion of any class) and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) was registered against the channel, Suman, Singh and the scriptwriter yesterday following the complaint, Senior Inspector, Pydhonie Police Station, Pathan Samsher.
Raza Academy's representatives have also approached Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil, who assured them to look into the issue. The recorded version of the joke was also shown to the minister.
Singh in an episode of Comedy Circus, co-hosted by Shekhar Suman, aired last week allegedly took a dig at a Quranic verse, with Suman repeating the same, police said.
Police would see that recorded version and take appropriate action against the person or organisation concerned, said Pathan adding further probe was on.
FIR Against Shekhar Suman, Comedian Bharti, Sony
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Corpses Found Floating In Ganga
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himachal: Cyber Thugs Target Covid Patients With False Promises Of Hospital Beds, Remdesivir
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In TN Releases Election Expenses
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine