The Bombay High Court today disposed off an application filed by Mehraj Shaikh, ex-husband of Sanjay Dutt's wife Manyata, and said that he can file a private complaint against the actor if he wishes to do so.
Shaikh, who was in jail since last year for sending lewd messages to two actresses, had written a letter to the court seeking lodging of FIR against Dutt for allegedly threatening him.
The court had earlier asked the state as to why Shaikh should be kept in jail for bailable offences.
But today public prosecutor Mankunvar Deshmukh told the court that Mehraj was produced before the magistrate court last week, and was released on bail.
Court has also asked how many such undertrials - facing bailable charges - were there in Arthur Road jail where Mehraj was kept. Advocate Deshmukh told the court there were not more than 20 such prisoners, and some of them were about to be released.
Mehraj had alleged that Dutt's "underworld friends" had "abducted" his son. He had sought registration of FIR against Dutt, alleging that latter wanted Mehraj to withdraw the case of bigamy filed by Mehraj.
The High Court said that since Mehraj has been now freed, he may file private complaint against Dutt if he wants to.
File Pvt Complaint Against Dutt If You Wish: HC to Mehraj
THE LATEST ISSUE
- US Registers Record 1,480 Deaths From COVID-19 In 24 Hours, Situation Improves In Italy
- Coronavirus: 647 Cases Linked To Tablighi Jamaat In 14 States: Health Ministry
- Coronavirus Puts India On Highway To Hunger: Despite Bumper Harvest Why Food Riots Lurk
- How Ahmedabad Corporation Endangered People By Seeking To Hire Hands To Fight Corona
- Pakistan Using ISKP In Its Proxy-War To Unleash Terrorism Virus Upon India
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Silence Of The Abdullahs: Is Coronavirus A Cover?
- How Online Exercise Sessions Are Keeping India Fit During Lockdown
- Fighting COVID-19 From Frontline, Foreign Doctors At AIIMS Struggle For Salaries
- After Shaheen Bagh, Tablighi Jamaat Issue Being Used To Demonise Muslims: Jamiat Chief
- Darjeeling First-Flush Tea Faces Heat, Loss Estimated At Around Rs 150 Crore
- Is PM Modi Taking Cue From Vedic Times To Defeat Coronavirus?
- COVID-19: PM Modi Discusses Lockdown With Sports Stars
- UK Lockdown: EPL Push Back Return To Action