Fatima Bhutto, the writer-activist niece of slain former Premier Benazir Bhutto, will contest Pakistan's upcoming general election from a constituency in Punjab province, her mother has said.
30-year-old Fatima, the daughter of Benazir's brother Murtaza Bhutto, has for long said that she has no plans to enter politics.
However, media reports quoted Fatima's stepmother Ghinwa Bhutto as saying that she would contest the polls from Liaquatpur town in Rahim Yar Khan district.
Ghinwa, head of the Pakistan People's Party-Shaheed Bhutto (PPP-SB), made the announcement while addressing a gathering at Bahawalpur in Punjab yesterday.
There was no word on the development from Fatima, the granddaughter of former Premier Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto.
Fatima, who wrote the controversial book Songs Of Blood And Sword on the life of her slain father, has been a strong critic of the ruling Pakistan People's Party and the dynastic politics of the Bhutto-Zardari family.
She has often spoken out against her cousin, PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari, who is being groomed for a larger role in the party's affairs ahead of the general election expected to be held by May next year.
Bilawal will not be eligible to contest polls himself till he turns 25 in September next year.
During her address to PPP-SB workers, Ghinwa claimed the "murderers of Murtaza and Benazir" had become the "fake heirs of the PPP" and were ruling Pakistan by using the Bhutto name.
Ghinwa has had strained relations with the Bhuttos, including Benazir, since her husband Murtaza was shot dead outside his home in Karachi in 1996.
'Fatima Bhutto to Contest Pak General Election'
Rezaul H Laskar/Islamabad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Jaitley
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- PV Sindhu Progresses To Final At Badminton Worlds
- Rahul Gandhi-Led Opposition Team Not Allowed To Leave Srinagar Airport, Sent Back
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Press Council Of India Moves SC To Back Communication Blackout In Jammu And Kashmir
- Live, Durand Cup Final: Salva Chamorro Scores, MB 1-2 GKFC
- Why Is Part Of The Amazon Burning?
- PM Modi Defends Article 370 Move In UAE, Says It Ends 'Isolation' Of J&K Which Was Radicalising Youths